The Climate Corporation is revolutionizing the agriculture industry with a platform and products that are helping the world’s farmers sustainably increase productivity with digital tools. We are looking for an individual to lead and grow a team of experienced and talented software engineers that will deliver the infrastructure and services to enable our deep science warehouse (DSW). DSW is an analytics platform with the mission to enable an efficient and relatively easy means to perform large scale analysis across a large number of datasets. Through the DSW, science and business teams can easily harness the power of the latest big data technologies to discover new insights that drive model development and data-driven decisions. The engineering manager role is a unique opportunity to leverage Climate’s powerful cloud services, massive depth of data, and cutting edge scientific modeling to deliver a disruptive platform that makes a real world difference.
What You Will Do:
- Lead, grow, and inspire a talented team of engineers focused on building and managing the core infrastructure and services that power our Deep Science Warehouse (DSW).
- Collaborate with product, design, and engineering to define needs that leverage the next generation of industry-leading data analytics technologies.
- Fearlessly drive an efficient and effective Agile software development process to manage a deep backlog and launch iteratively developed products.
- Motivate and provide necessary tools for engineers to work with confidence to create simple solutions to complex problems.
- Ensure product stability through robust, scalable and software development practices.
- Help your team meet their goals and strive to be their best.
- Act as an active source of engineering talent and work with recruiting teams to build and scale the future of engineering at The Climate Corporation.
- Align the team’s goals and objectives towards the “Bigger Picture” of the Climate Corporation.
- Represent Climate and present at local Meetups, User Groups and Conferences.
- BS, MS or in Computer Science or related technical discipline (or equivalent)
- 2+ years of demonstrated ability to grow and lead a team of engineers
- 5+ hands-on experience developing robust services, in Java or similar OO language,
- Experience working with web applications and REST-based API services at large to massive scale.
- At least 2 years of experience with Agile, Scrum, Kanban or similar software development practices.
- Experience architecting, designing and building a Hadoop/Spark Cluster
- At least 2 years experience with deployment in large cloud-based distributed environments.
- At least 2 experience working with persistence store (Relational or Nonrelational).
- Engineering Management experience in a startup environment.
- Knowledge of functional programming (Strong Plus).
- Experience with compiled JVM language (Java, Scala, Clojure) (Strong Plus).
- Experience with AWS or similar distributed architecture.
- Familiarity with tools like Hadoop (hive, pig, spark, , ) and Spark.
What We Offer:
Our teams are composed of industry experts, top scientists, and talented engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Superb medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k matching program
- A stocked kitchen with a large assortment of snacks & drinks to get you through the day
- Encouragement to get out of the office and into the field with agents and farmers to see first-hand how our products are being used
- We take part and offer various workshops, conferences, meet-up groups, tech-talks, and hackathons to encourage participation and growth in both community involvement and career development
We also hinge our cultural DNA on these five values:
- Inspire one another
- Innovate in all we do
- Leave a mark on the world
- Find the possible in the impossible
- Be direct and transparent
Learn more about our team and our mission:
The Climate Corporation - The Technology Behind Making A Difference