- Independently provides bench and lab related work activities to support the development of new products, product line extensions, duplications, product and process improvements and cost improvements. (30%)
- Provides leadership to others within GSF and external customer and is seen as an expert in beverage and sweet confections development. Acts as a technical resource and mentor for both internal and external colleagues. Provides operational support and looks for opportunities to increase efficiency and reduce complexity. (30%)
- Monitors and analyzes the scale up, first production and quality assurance practices of the developed product through the commercialization process and identify areas for improvement to facilitate department operations. (25%)
- Identifies new sources and suppliers for raw materials in compliance with established quality assurance standards. (10%)
- Maintains laboratory, including upkeep of equipment, stocking of supplies and general cleaning of work areas. (5%)
- Capable of independently conducting and leading in-house and on site customer presentations.
- Studies methods to improve quality of food such as flavor, color, texture, nutritional value and convenience in support of strategic objectives. Researches new ingredients or technologies that will create a competitive advantage.
- Performs other related and assigned duties as necessary.
- Up to 20% travel.
- Ability to lead through others, direct or indirect
- Develops and mentors others in the department
- Productivity/quality standards: test methodology, accuracy and reliability
- Productivity/quality standards: accuracy, timeliness, thoroughness
- Productivity/quality standards: new product development
- Domestic and international regulatory compliance
- Cost containment
- Teamwork within the department and across departments
- Project/assignment standards
- Customer satisfaction
- Safety standards and procedures: food
- Safety standards and procedures: laboratory equipment and procedures
Bachelor’s degree in food science, engineering, or related field of science from an accredited college or university
Master’s degree preferred
6 to 10 years of relevant work experience, with an understanding of food chemistry, food safety, and related regulations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of (B/basic; J/journey; E/expert):
- Food testing concepts and techniques (E)
- Product development (E)
- Food processing equipment (E)
- Raw materials/product interaction (E)
- Food safety concepts and techniques (E)
- Quality assurance concepts and techniques (E)
- HACCP programs and related food safety regulations and processes (E)
- International export and food regulations (E)
- Food chemistry (E)
- Food microbiology (J)
- PC word processing/spreadsheet software (E)
Skill and ability to:
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Apply working knowledge of mathematical concepts and scientific weights and measures. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Teach others the importance of concepts revolving around food analysis, food chemistry and food microbiology.
- Communicate and coordinate effectively with internal and external customers verbally and in writing
- Speak confidently and effectively before groups of customers or employees of GSF.
- Read and process written information with a high degree of accuracy
- Perform a variety of food safety tests including water activity, viscosity, sodium analysis, pH, moisture and total solids analysis
- Work in a laboratory environment
- Work effectively in a general business environment, with a focus on high levels of quality and customer service
- Act in accordance with GSF’s Values and Creed