Southern California-based Karma is more than just a car company. Although we are best known as a creator of soul-stirring luxury electric vehicles, Karma has emerged as a high-tech incubator offering innovators a perfect platform to prove their emerging technologies. Every Revero is designed at our Headquarters in Irvine and created with great individual care and world-class craftsmanship at the Karma Innovation and Customization Center in Moreno Valley, CA.
The Sr. Manager, Brake Engineering & Driver Assistance is responsible for leading the Brake Engineering team for production and future programs. This role ensures the objectives of the team are clearly defined, timing goals are established, progress is monitored/reported, and objectives are achieved on time and with quality. The Sr. Manager, Brake Engineering also has responsibility for Foundation Brake/Hydraulics/Actuation, Brake Control Systems (ABS/TC/ESC and related function), and also has solid line responsibility for leading the production Advanced Driver Assistance team (Active Emergency Braking, Active Cruise Control, Lane Keeep Assist, Parking Sensing, etc.) Finally, this position is responsible for ensuring compliance and final signoff to all relevant FMVSS, CMVSS, China, and ECE regulations related to the Brake System and Driver Assistance Systems.
- Determine work group objectives and priorities, and supervise activities of direct reports (including performance appraisals, time sheets and other administrative tasks); support hiring initiatives and administrative tasks.
- Lead definition of program assumptions for future vehicle programs, assist Vehicle Integration with development of attribute targets and by providing CAD data for vehicle package studies, and support technical leaders in Brake Team for brake system architecture and other specifications.
- Help establish and institutionalize core competencies for up-front total brake system definition. Champion engineering processes, procedures, methods, standards, and tool selection.
- Help establish and institutionalize brake system component and system targets for durability, serviceability, noise, pedal feel (Karma DNA pedal feel), brake control system response, etc.
- Lead development of quote packages and supplier selection process. Ensure designated suppliers represent the best overall business and functional decision for the company.
- Work with direct reports to develop brake system DVPRs, DFMEAs, Functional Safety protocols, and development timing plans.
- Ensure rapid resolution of design, assembly plant, and field issues, including launch support. Monitor supplier component testing progress, review test reports with Design Release engineers and SQE, and aggressively respond to testing issues immediately. Ensure direct reports and suppliers are using standardized problem solving methods (like 5D/8D/Red X etc) to correctly identify root cause, containment plans, and permanent corrective action.
- Monitor industry regarding brake system advancements, cost reduction opportunities, and regulatory initiative and present to management for consideration.
- Define development/test plans and vehicle requirements compatible with overall program, obtain resources as required to minimize risks, and support alternate plans as required.
- Ensure brake system assumptions can meet certification requirements for FMVSS/CMVSS, ECE, and China. Support with data and testing.
- Represent KARMA interests in professional groups such as SAE and ASME, as well as represent the product team within the company.
- Support off-site demonstrations, field trials, and launches; support prototype and production assembly events at domestic or international locations.
- Meet all performance, packaging, cost, quality, and timing objectives.
- Lead Brake System development program and senior management milestone events (eg, pedal feel signoff, winter/summer brake control system calibration signoffs, ADAS evaluations and signoffs, etc.)
- Support chassis or powertrain tuning events involving interface/collaboration with brake system.
- Strong, demonstrated problem-solving skills in a team environment; strong communication skills with Suppliers and internal leadership.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Foundation Brake and Brake Control System fundamentals to enable mentoring of young employees and direction to suppliers, such as sizing, thermal/temperature requirements, federal compliance tests, pedal fee curves, Save components and vehicle DV and signoff tests, etc.
- Regenerative Braking Systems, including both blended and overlay systems; benefits of each and tuning considerations.
- Knowledge and experience with brake control system specifications, communication, and diagnostic requirements.
- Engineering processes: GD&T, tolerance stack-up, DFMEA, FEA, and DOE.
- 3D modeling, drawing creation, detailed tolerance stack-ups.
- Design review leadership skills are strongly recommended. Relevant industry organizations such as SAE, ASME, etc. are a plus.
- Regen Brake System, Electrical System, CAN/ Network Communication.
- Ideal candidate would be able to help facilitate DFMEA process for foundation drum brake products.
- Understanding of designing parts for stamping, casting, welding, machining, and forging a big plus.
- BS Engineering (Mechanical/Electrical preferred).
- 10+ years combined experience in Brake System development, component design, and release.
- Experience with foundation brake system design, function, and development.
- Experience with brake control system design, function, and development.
- Experience with brake system instrumentation, set-up and data analysis.
- Experience in direct management of people is required.
- Above experience in engineering in the global and domestic automotive industry preferred. Knowledge of the product line and related technologies, as well as knowledge of brakes and braking systems.
- Approximately 10-15% Travel required to domestic and international locations.
- Casting, Material Properties, and packaging experience preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex issues to senior management in formal and informal settings.
- Strong interpersonal skills with teamwork mindset; able to handle stressful situations with composure.
- Basic knowledge of Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001:2015) and Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001:2015), as applicable.
No 3rd Parties. Principals Only, Please
Come and join the great Karma Team, where you can make a career! Karma Automotive offers a complete benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, STD, LTD; paid vacation, holidays and personal days; and a 401K with matching contributions.
Karma Automotive LLC is an equal employment opportunity (EEO) employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender identity and expression, color, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy or related conditions (including breastfeeding), national origin/ancestry, religion, military/veteran status, genetic information, citizenship status or any other characteristic and group protected by applicable law. Karma Automotive LLC complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act to ensure equal access to all qualified individuals with a physical or mental disability. Valid driver’s license may be required based on essential duties.