- Demonstrate a passion for crushing lung disease and embody CHEST values: honor the team, lead with integrity, leverage passion, cultivate innovation, and have serious fun.
- Manage the development and effective execution of public and media relations strategies, tactics, and policies for the organization and its related products and entities, including CHEST journal and guidelines, the CHEST Annual Meeting, and CHEST Foundation, with a focus on raising the profile of brand, CHEST leadership, and issues affecting the field.
- Manage, mentor, and provide leadership to department staff, helping enhance the quality of their work, identify stretch assignments, and professional development opportunities, while working alongside the team to accomplish shared goal
- Develop key messaging for target audiences, inclusive of media, consumers, patients, physicians, policy makers, leadership, membership, staff, and potential staff. Ensure messages are accurate, compelling, advance the brand position, and differentiate the organization.
- Integrate public relations and communication efforts across CHEST and its related entities and programs, as well as its channels and platforms, effectively managing internal and external resources while leveraging the CHEST brand for all public and consumer-facing efforts.
- Develop annual and project-related budgets, identify and on-board external resources as needed to achieve specific goals, and leverage partners appropriately.
- Establish success metrics for public relations and communication efforts, leverage existing tools and platforms to provide reporting to the Executive team on progress, and make strategic adjustments based on outcomes.
- Serve as primary media relations contact for CHEST, developing strong relationships with medical and consumer news outlets and proactively securing project-appropriate media coverage for CHEST initiatives. Develop press kits and online press rooms to disseminate key information related to major initiatives (ie, journal, annual conference, disease awareness).
- Collaborate with leadership team to provide expert communications and PR advice, counsel and guidance to CHEST senior leadership and divisions—including issues/crisis management.
- Constantly improve the effectiveness and efficiency of PR and communication efforts by evaluating past efforts and studying/adopting industry best practices. Develop and enforce guidelines and policies as needed.
- Establish a key cadre of volunteer leaders to train and leverage as speakers, drawing from CHEST leaders, NetWorks, and journal Editors. Deliver media training to staff and volunteer leadership both through in-depth sessions and providing pre-interview preparation ad hoc.
- Support the CHEST Annual Meeting and major events through development of external messaging and media materials, development of scripts for major leadership or executive talks, and press management.
- Actively manage CHEST’s public profile through ensuring monitoring media mentions and staying current on emerging issues across the pulmonary, critical care, and sleep medicine landscape, systematically surfacing issues for leadership considerations.
- Partner with Publishing and Marketing on newsletters and series directed at staff and membership for consistency of message, brand voice, and to ensure utilization of key stories across platforms and audiences, leveraging opportunities for more public-facing dissemination as they arise.
- Promotes the impact of key research and guidelines emerging from CHEST journal, leveraging high profile authors and editorial board members, drawing connections to patient impact, and identifying innovative methods disseminating content.
- Drives public consumer and philanthropic awareness of CHEST Foundation and CHEST advocacy efforts, patient education materials, and its agenda more generally.
- Liaise with related committees, collaborating societies, and government agencies on emerging issues affecting pulmonary, critical care, and sleep medicine.
- Partner with Human Resources and the Executive team to maintain a positive profile of CHEST in the association community, through preparation of presentations or direct representation in meetings and conferences that align with CHEST’s work (ie, continuing medical education, health policy), maintenance of CHEST’s public image on platforms such as Glassdoor and LinkedIn
- Collaborate with Publishing and Marketing division staff to document standard operating procedures (SOPs).
Position Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, PR, or related field, with exceptionally developed written and verbal communication skills.
- 6+ years experience managing PR in a healthcare or association setting with experience in active pitching, media relations and PR efforts specifically related to the healthcare field.
- Staff management experience, including goal-setting, monitoring, and development.
- Experience working with health professionals in the creation and dissemination of branded content. Experience working with lay, medical and trade publications. Promotional and educational event management experience preferred.
- Expertise in message development and strong knowledge of print, web, social, and digital media.
- Demonstrated project management skills with ability to manage multiple PR and social media projects simultaneously to achieve strategic objectives.
- Commitment to a collaborative working environment.
- Possesses an action-focused orientation, readily assuming and executing on new opportunities with positivity.
- Communicates effectively in diverse formats and diverse audiences, developing a sense of priority, context, and tailoring style in all interactions, formal and informal. Provides timely, accurate, and thoughtful responses and information.
- Intuits global implications of specific issues and extrapolates from the specific to the global. Identifies political implications and consequences.
- Breaks down and prioritizes complex issues into manageable actions and tactics to achieve progress toward desired results, while balancing and the expectations of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to independently learn new technologies and employ them for PR and social media use.
- Proficiency in Google Drive, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint in a Mac environment.
- Ability to accommodate occasional travel.
This description was designed as a convenience to acquaint employees and managers with the basic elements of the position. The duties of this position are not limited to what is contained in this description and employees in this position may be asked to perform various functions not listed. This description is solely for the purpose of summarizing basic responsibilities and is not intended to be a contract or guarantee of employment or of any specific terms or conditions of employment. This description may be amended or eliminated from time to time as necessary for operational or business reasons.