MKS Instruments, Inc. is the parent company of Newport Corporation®, Spectra-Physics® and Ophir®, leaders in photonics, optics, lasers and motion/vibration control. MKS is a worldwide leader in technology solutions for thin film, process and industrial manufacturing, environmental monitoring, defense and security, life sciences and research
Spectra-Physics has a challenging product development position for a Senior Mechanical Engineer with opportunity for growth. Candidate will work closely with a team of Laser, Optical, Electrical, Mechanical, and Manufacturing Engineers to design and produce the best laser systems in the world.
The ideal candidate will perform mechanical design with a diverse team involving laser, optical, electrical, and mechanical integration for laser systems, optical/laser subassemblies, tooling design, and breadboard testing.
Activities & Responsibilities:
- In this role you will be responsible for the modeling, design, and development of complex opto-mechanical systems for our next generation industrial laser products. You will work in a diverse, dynamic, multifunctional team environment.
- You will work with Project Manager and Product Marketing to define system requirements, complete feasibility tasks, and support product through production.
- You will work closely with Project Managers to prioritize and execute plans for key development milestones.
- You will provide hands-on support for all aspects of design, modeling, development, documentation, and transfer to manufacturing.
- You will interface with Manufacturing Engineers to ensure a smooth transition to production.
- You will adhere to established development standards
- Duties include
- Cross-functional interfacing with multiple teams including optical, electrical, and software engineering, and division management
- Design and support of laser systems, optical/laser subassemblies and tooling
- Component selection with vendor interaction and bill of material (BOM) generation
- Development and documentation of Manufacturing test and assembly procedures
- Management of design change through ECO and product maintenance tasks
- Support and sustaining of existing laser products
- BSME with a minimum of 5 years of experience in designing, prototyping, and testing opto-mechanical products
- MSME and beyond a plus
- Knowledge of mechanical considerations for laser and optical systems including, but not limited to: optics mounting, diode cooling, handling of gain medium materials, thermal analysis, and material stability
- Proficient in PTC Creo (Pro Engineer) or SolidWorks modeling application
- Experience with thermal, structural, and flow analysis using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) techniques is desirable
- Knowledgeable in Design for Reliability techniques including HASS and HALT.
- Problem resolution skills applied to providing solutions involving new design and assembly techniques, technologies, and concepts
- Proficient in product definition, release of documentation, and technical writing
- Effective communication skills are key to success in this position
- Able to deliver in a dynamic, challenging, and fast-paced working environment to challenging development schedules
MKS Instruments, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We solicit and hire applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category. Our policy is to employ the most qualified applicants. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with company policies and federal and state guidelines.
For positions requiring access to export-controlled technical data, or that are located at facilities where export-controlled technical data is present, MKS Instruments, Inc., may have to obtain an export license from the U.S. government. As such, applicants for this position—except U.S. Citizens, U.S. Permanent Residents, and protected persons as defined in 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3)—may be subject to an export license review process. Employment is contingent upon issuance of the license.