Title: Sr. Microbiologist / Phage Biologist
Job Location: Silver Spring MD
We are seeking a Sr. Microbiologist / Phage Biologist (Ph.D. level) for an anticipated procurement to support research programs and projects at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR). Availability of this position is contingent upon contract award.
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Ltd. is committed to providing world-class technical, management, and scientific support services to government and public sector clients. We focus on people, processes, and performance to deliver superior results. Since our inception in 1997, our commitment to mission success and customer satisfaction has been recognized for driving projects from the planning stages, through implementation, and into operations and support.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Performs research on bacteriophages and microbial pathogens of military relevance (e.g. Staphylococcus aureus, Shigella, Pseudomonas, Klebsiella, etc.), including in-depth bacteriophage characterization and animal modeling.
- Independently plans, coordinates and performs microbiological and genetic studies of bacteriophages and pathogens, including animal modeling, under biosafety level 2 and 3 conditions.
- Acts as a Principle or Associate Investigator in managing research projects within a defined scope of work.
- Modifies established experimental techniques as required and establishes new techniques in the laboratory-based on information provided in the scientific literature.
- Analyzes and reports experimental results.
- Maintains accurate and appropriate research records including maintaining laboratory notebooks compliant with standards of laboratory work (replicability) and with WRAIR/Army regulations.
- Maintains knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and techniques required to accomplish the research duties.
- Trains and supervises junior technical staff to accomplish objectives.
- Maintains laboratory operation, including ensuring stocks of laboratory supplies and reagents, maintains laboratory safety, orderliness and cleanliness.
- Writes and publishes articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals; prepares data for presentation at scientific meetings in accordance with WRAIR policy for Authorship of Manuscripts Sent to Scientific Journals.
- Prepares proposals and progress reports for the performance of research projects.
- Integrates and coordinates scientific experiments in the field of expertise.
- Participates in planning sessions for program design and direction.
- Prepares human use and/or animal use protocols.
- Completes all required safety, biosafety, and security training classes.
- Obtains required annual occupational physical examinations, serologic tests and any security clearances required to conduct work in department laboratories.
- Ph.D. degree with at least ten (10) years of experience as an investigator in bacteriophage and microbiological research.
- Must have significant experience working with infectious/pathogenic bacteria.
- Experience is necessary in genetically manipulating pathogenic organisms, testing bacteriophages in both in vitro and in vivo models and analyzing bacteriophage genome sequences.
- Must have experience in applications of statistics to biological research.
- Must have experience in BSL-2 and BSL-3 environments.
- Must have an excellent command of written and oral English and a demonstrated ability to write and publish in English peer-review journals.
- Must be able to integrate current scientific concepts and creatively apply them to U.S Army research objectives. Must have experience in statistics and applications of statistics to biological research.
- US Citizenship required
- Place of Performance: Silver Spring MD
- National Agency Clearance and Inquiries (NACI)
- Travel may be required
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, LTD. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by federal, state, and/or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
- Military Leave
- On Site Cafeteria
- Vacation/paid time off
- Employee Events
- Gym Memberships
- Professional Development
- Life Insurance
- Employee Referral Program
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Paid Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid sick days
- Maternity/Paternity Paid Leave
- Retirement / Pension Plans