Summary of Position:
This position is responsible for the application engineering of telecommunications outside plant in a local serving exchange environment. Subject matter expert of and for all technical aspects of outside plant facilities work such as but not limited to cable sizing, cable counts, cable records, permitting for the right of ways, and easements. This position works as a team member with Network Planning, Central Office, Transmission, and Operations to support the growth, replacements, and upgrades of telecommunications plant facilities. This position also supports sales, marketing, operations, and regulatory as needed. Candidates for this position must have experience engineering fiber to the home deployments.
Specific requirements of the position include:
- Must have experience engineering fiber to the home deployments.
- Engineering design for outside plant projects.
- Perform field staking.
- Proactive review of outside plant facilities to determine necessary upgrades and enhancements.
- Communicate with the state, county, city, and national indices to gain information on planned projects that involve growth and changes.
- Coordinate with all utilities for project design and construction to utilize joint trench.
- Communicate with all peers and departments to ensure proper project planning.
- Maintain accurate cable records and updates.
- Attend pre-construction meetings for project designs.
- Apply for permits as required (State, DNR, City, County, Townships).
- Maintain and investigate the right of ways and easements for releases.
- Prepare project justifications for approvals, including EWOP documents loaded into Varasset.
- Prepare loop studies as needed.
- Prepare cost estimates for BDT’s.
- Respond to DOR’s as needed.
- Update records according to As-Builts.
- Land base into FROGS/Spatial Engineer (Frontier AutoCAD based GIS) system.
- Assist in annual budget design.
- All other activities concerning the needs of the business.
Must have detailed knowledge of outside plant activities. Knowledge of engineering tools to include the following, FROGS/Spatial Engineer (Frontier AutoCAD based GIS), Adobe, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, email, and other vendor software. Excellent organizational skills, communication skills (written and verbal), and customer relations will achieve desired results and are critical to the position. Outside plant construction and project management experience and inventory management experience. Experience in right of way, private easement, and permitting with local, state, and federal entities. Must be able to manage multiple projects in various stages of activity.
B.S. in Engineering or equivalent, or a minimum of 3 to 5 years’ experience related to outside plant, preferable in a local exchange environment. Must be able to demonstrate knowledge with a heavy emphasis on outside plant design, cable count layout, and capacities. Must have a solid knowledge of telecommunications outside the plant. Must be able to participate and lead project teams to achieve team objectives and goals. Strong interpersonal skills are essential in discussions and meetings with the engineering team, regional managers, vendors, local supervisors, and technicians.