We are seeking a Sr. Physicist to support our Navy DoD customer in research, development, testing, evaluation, and engineering analysis at our Colorado Springs, CO office.
For more than 60 years, Peraton has supported our Navy Strategic Systems Programs (SSP) customer by performing research, development, analysis, modeling and simulation, and testing to assess weapon system performance and qualify weapon systems for normal and hostile environments. We provide support in the areas of programmatic and systems engineering, technical engineering, scientific analysis, and operational systems support for Navy SSP’s strategic reentry systems. We utilize both COTS and in-house developed software to deliver analysis results and software models of reentry systems and weapons effects to Navy SSP or their designee.
The physicist will perform scientific analysis and computational modeling to evaluate intrinsic, normal, and hostile radiation environments and their effect on electrical and mechanical components, as well as on personnel. The successful candidate will perform a wide range of tasks spanning radiation transport calculations, Hardening and Vulnerability (H&V) calculations, Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) calculations, hostile nuclear environment definition, and planning and assessment of radiation/electrical/mechanical testing. Position will require the use scientific and engineering simulation software, in particular radiation transport and finite element analysis solvers (e.g. MCNP, Attila, ABAQUS, Nastran, LS-Dyna, etc.)
This position will be responsible for the following:
- Lead a team in the completion of hostile and normal environment studies of reentry systems and personnel safety
- Perform radiation transport calculations of free-field and internal dose levels in Navy system components
- Compare and correlate radiation modeling results with experimental data
- Perform Verification & Validation of simulation models and results
- Assist in test planning and execution at radiation, electrical, and mechanical above ground test facilities
- Work with software engineers to implement physics-based analysis models into maintainable software programs
- Assist the customer in system assessment and qualification of current Navy systems and the planning and requirements definition of future systems
- Develop Technical Documentation and Briefings.
- Develop technical reports capturing assumptions, inputs, outputs, and assessments
- Develop PowerPoint presentations
- Interface directly with the customer.
- Travel for meetings and customer interactions
- Minimum requirement is a BS Degree in Physics or Nuclear Engineering with 10+ years of experience; MS with 8+ years of experience, or PhD with 5+ years of experience. An advanced degree is preferred and applicants with advanced degrees will be given preference.
- Experience in experimental design and execution or modeling
- Experience leading a team of motivated and highly-skilled engineers and scientists
- Experience in writing reports or articles
- Experience presenting results to technical SMEs and various levels of management
- PhD in Physics or Nuclear Engineering
- Radiation transport experience (neutron, gamma, x-ray)
- Ability to create unique code-to-code interfaces along with post processing routines for model response analyses
- Experience with Industry leading verification and validation practices, model uncertainty quantification, industry standard design of experiment processes, and application of statistical analysis of experimental data
- Experience with any of the following technologies: (MCNP, Attila, Matlab, Python, Fortan, C++, PATRAN, NASTRAN, ABAQUS, Linux, Word, Powerpoint, and Excel)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to take initiative and manage detailed tasks
- Ability to work independently or on a team
- Knowledge of object-oriented design
- Experience with Defense asset life extension programs
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Current security clearance (Secret or Top Secret)
This position requires the candidate to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance. In order to obtain a clearance, you need to be a U.S. Citizen and show proof of citizenship. An active Secret or Top Secret is preferred, and candidates with an active clearance will be given preference.
Peraton provides innovative, reliable solutions to the nation’s most sensitive and mission-critical programs and systems. Peraton has significant experience providing highly differentiated secure communications, space, and technology solutions to key customers, and has become a trusted partner on missions that are critical to the security priorities of the United States. Capabilities include complex software and technology services and solutions, as well as end-to-end mission operations abilities, including Software Systems Development, Cyber, Modeling & Simulation, Mission Operations, Signal Intelligence (SIGINT), and Quick Reaction Capabilities (QRC) / Research & Development. The company is headquartered in Herndon, VA, with approximately 3,500 employees across the U.S. and Canada.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.