Horizon Food Group/NE-MO'S BAKERY is a strategic bakery and sweet snack company selling to grocery, convenience store, mass merchant and food service customers throughout the U.S. A leader in the single serve segment products.
Title: Sr. Product Development Technologist
Reports to: Director of Marketing Services
Direct Reports: None
Location: Escondido, California
SalaryRange: Based on Candidate Skills, Experience and Education
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Applies scientific and engineering principles in research, development, production technology, packaging, processing, and utilization of foods.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conducts basic research and assists in new product research and development of bakery products.
- Evaluates and recommends alternate ingredients used in existing products.
- Inputs data and/or prepares information needed for theoretical nutritionals.
- Conducts shelf life studies on new products.
- Responsible for sensory evaluations for new and existing product items.
- Develops and creates specification sheets for all new products.
- Reviews labels and film for accuracy and assures appropriate approvals complete.
- Assists in product development projects as needed.
- Develop Nutritional facts panel utilizing Genesis R&D SQL
- Responsible for lab equipment
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Design – Generates creative solutions; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects on time.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Team Work – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Written Communication- Writes clearly and informatively; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Leadership – Displays passion and optimism.
- Managing People – Improves processes, products and services.
- Dependability – Keeps commitments.
- Initiative – Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Measures self against standard of excellence.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Develops realistic action plan.
Education, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree (BS) in bakery science from a 4-year university.
- Experience with fried, filled dough products and related processes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Computer Skills- Microsoft office environment, Word/Excel
IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL ALSO HAVE:
- 5+ years related experience in a bakery environment
- Industry experience with sweet snacks, bakery and fried dough related products
- Working knowledge in Genesis R&D SQL
- Standard office environment.
Product Development Engineer