The Senior Project Manager has the overall responsibility for the oversight of assigned construction projects from preconstruction to close out. The primary responsibilities are to ensure timely completions of projects assigned, consistent with quality standards, and to continue the development of the organization and people under direct supervision as well as keeping the VP, Field Operations advised on field matters. The Sr. PM is accountable to the supervision and direction of the activities of all field personnel on assigned construction projects and may, depending on project demands, be accountable to the overall management of PMs on assigned projects.
As a senior member of the KBE Management Team, this individual will be expected to role model and foster the attitude, measures and approaches necessary to create a workplace environment that embodies the KBE Mission of Building Excellence Together. The Sr. PM motivates others by exemplifying the values of Dedication, Innovation, Pride and Integrity.
Develop talent and manage field personnel as assigned. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing candidates as needed, training employees, planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance of PE/Project Coordinators, Superintendents and PMs as assigned; recommending rewards and discipline of employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; participate in and enforcing development plans. Participate in KBE University as an instructor to promote the growth and development of KBE Associates.
Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
As a member of the KBE Management team:
- Understand, cultivate and support all aspects of the Strategic Plan through providing vision, planning and the overall big picture to the organization;
- Work to Cultivate Our People by actively training and mentoring Project Managers, Assistant Project Managers, Project Engineers and Superintendents and provide input into training programs at PM/ Super meetings;
- Foster an environment of treating subcontractors with respect and as part of the team by conducting subcontractor round tables and lessons learned;
- Hold KBE Associates accountable to maintaining strong subcontractor relationships in accordance with KBE values;
- Support Business Development through the KB Advocate program; communicating regularly with Clients to ensure KBE is meeting their needs and facilitating repeat business and strive to become participants and leaders in the industry and communities through attending industry groups, trade shows and community events;
- Communicate frequently; be available to all staff to ensure proper dissemination of appropriate information and ensure alignment of goals and efforts;
- Donate time on behalf of company for charitable organizations;
- Attend initial kickoff meetings with clients and reinforce that any problems that arise need to be elevated in a timely manner.
Consult with Owners, Director, Field Operations and Estimators to become thoroughly familiar with the project requirements and criteria.
- Understand the impact of financial status updates (i.e. cost report impact and monthly run-over) on both assigned projects and those of reporting PMs and drive results in accordance with the Strategic Plan and other stated objectives;
- Interface with Risk Management on various insurance issues;
- Attend interviews for any projects where KBE is short listed or invited.
Assist as necessary, with the Estimating Department to bid and secure projects:
- Suggest subcontractors with which to bid;
- Solicit contractors in certain construction divisions;
- Become thoroughly familiar with divisions assigned;
- Assist in setting up general conditions;
- Assist with value engineering as appropriate;
Responsible for details of owner contracts
- Review, understand and approve Owner Contracts in conjunction with KBE Corporate Counsel and VP, Field Ops;
- Ensure project team prepares Executive Summary of contract requirements and review and approve with the team
- Review and approve budget prior to entering in Accounting system;
- Review owner requirements to insure billing is per contract terms and conditions;
- Assist with drafting owner contracts with in-house Counsel and President & CEO.
Moderates kick-off meeting on assigned projects:
- Check contracts to ensure all terms and conditions are followed
- Run kick off meeting
- Set up requisition format with Accounting
Oversight of PMs/ Projects, on an assigned basis.
Oversee project management process on assigned projects and through working with assigned PMs
- Ensure overall project requirements are understood and delivered in terms of costs/ schedule/ bid requirements and assumptions;
- Monitor and review all cost reports and cash flow schedules (and provide to owner/bank, as required);
- Control all project costs and maximize profit
- Ensure utilization of and enter details into PM Dashboard system;
- Perform complete job buy out including drafting of subcontracts
- Ensure subcontracts are thorough, complete and all-inclusive (i.e. payment terms, safety or insurance requirements, taxes and insurance, etc.)
- Ensure subcontractors are capable of performing work, prequalification is complete and all policies regarding bonding are followed;
- Award all scopes of work on a timely basis
- Establish and maintain continuous communication with clients, subcontractors and suppliers to keep everyone informed of project progress;
- Resolve claims for extras and/or credits with the owner, subcontractors and material suppliers in a timely fashion and/or in accordance with contract time limitations;
- Prepare C.P.M. bar charts, work schedules, cash flow schedules, and enforce, monitor, and update schedules to properly manage projects.
Verify project status, progress, and quality control with both subcontractors and superintendents and Inform VP, Field Operations of significant issues through regular updates/meetings; includes but not limited to cost projections, A/R collections, and closeout.
Supervise project team (Superintendent, Project Engineer and Project Accountant)- accountability to the field staff in terms of:
- Keep team members, including accounting, up to date and informed of all pertinent information;
- Monitor job schedule with Project Superintendent and make adjustments to allow for unexpected circumstances.
- Review submittal log weekly with Project Superintendent/Engineer and Review and sign off on daily reports from the Project Superintendents
- Ensure Project Superintendent is demanding quality work and enforcing safety requirements;
- Ensure Project Superintendent is adhering to specifications and all necessary permits form all agencies are secured;
- Hold weekly team meetings (with field and accounting) and ensure job meeting minutes are prepared and reviewed timely;
- Approve expense reports from the Project Superintendents;
- Make final inspection of construction sites and sign off on punchlist
Assist in preparation and conducting of monthly PM/ Super meetings with Project Managers and Superintendents.
Conduct weekly job site meetings with Owners/ Superintendants/ Subcontractors.
Actively provide PM/Superintendant/APM/PE training and coordinates outside training programs at PM/Super meetings w/assistance from VP, Field Operations
Participate in KBE University as an instructor.
Participate in interviews for Field Staff, as required.
KBE Advocate Program: Join a minimum of 1 outside construction organization to keep current with the industry.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- BS in Construction Management, Engineering, Business
- 10-15 years of supervisory construction related experience; including larger scale HB and CM jobs
- Thorough understanding of and following of plans and specifications in the construction of projects;
- Proficiency in controlling job costs and adhering to progress schedules;
- Ability to draft and interpret subcontract language and solid subcontract management a must;
- Strong leadership and management skills a must
- LEED Certification and 30 hr OSHA training required
- Demonstrates solid presentation skills and verbal/written skills;
- Ability to work with multiple priorities and tight deadlines and a proven track record in managing work in high demand operating work environments;
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including MS Project, Viewpoint, CIS or similar application;
Willingness to travel a must.