Client: large government entity
Location: San Jose, CA
Contract Length: 6+ months
5 Total Openings!!!
Senior IT Project Manager
1. Analyzes and develops corrective actions for project budget discrepancies;
2. Keeps current with the industry trends, best practices, terminologies and contributes to the evolution of the standards and tools;
3. Coaches less experienced team members in project management;
4. Develops and maintains a productive working relationship with business owners, project sponsors, project teams, resource managers, vendors and key clients;
5. Develops and maintains the project management plans including risk management plan, communications plan, change management plan, test plans etc.; identifies any potential project dependencies;
6. Gathers the information required for the scope, level of effort analysis to estimate project cost, resources, time and deliverables;
7. Develops baselines for cost and schedule, and continuously monitors actual against planned baseline; develops/updates charter to be submitted for approval;
8. Works with resource managers to ensure resource availability and commitment, and effectively aligns resources across projects;
9. Identifies which resources need to be procured outside the organization and develops the SOW.
10. Monitors project spend, delivery, service levels, value, and contractual compliance;
11. Conducts project meetings, communicating individual roles, project expectations and desired outcomes;
12. Makes sure that all project team members have the tools and training required to perform effectively;
13. Evaluates the progress of project on a regular basis and identifies, analyzes and prioritizes any issues/risks;
14. Develops and maintains risk mitigation plans, processes and systems;
15. Facilitates the resolution of complex problems, by meeting with customers, vendors, and technical staff to identify problems and potential solutions;
16. Manages the project change management process;
17. Performs project audits to assess the health of the projects, identifies and analyzes underlying patterns and recommends corrective actions as needed;
18. Prepares and presents project status updates including detailed status reports periodically and as requested;
19. Utilizes established project standards, procedures, contributes to the development and continuous improvement of tools, and participates in the Project Management Community of Practice;
20. Conducts formal review at project completion with business sponsor to confirm acceptance and documents lessons learned for future reference and learnings;
21. May lead projects in a scrum master capacity using agile methodology;
22. May be assigned as a Disaster Service Worker, as required;
23. Performs other related duties as required.
Sufficient education, training, and experience to demonstrate the possession and direct application of the following knowledge and abilities:
Training and Experience Note:
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration, Public Administration, or a related field of study,
Nine (9) years of IT project management experience, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite of products. Three (3) years of this experience must have been at a level comparable to the client’s IT Project Manager classification.
Eleven (11) years of IT project management experience, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite of products. Three (3) years of this experience must have been at a level comparable to the client’s IT Project Manager classification.
Possession of a Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration, Public Administration, or a related field of study can substitute for one (1) year of the required experience.
• Possession of a valid California Driver’s License prior to appointment and the ability to qualify for and maintain driver authorization.
• Possession of a Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
• PgPM (Program Management Professional) certification is desirable.
• Depending on the position, related certifications may be desirable.
1. How to identify, analyze and prioritize project risks and assesses its potential impact;
2. Project planning;
3. Work breakdown structures;
4. Analysis methods to estimate project cost, resources, time and deliverables;
5. Conflict resolution;
6. Factors that may potentially cause cost changes;
7. Risk mitigation planning, processes and systems;
8. Project change management process;
9. Accepted standards and tools for estimating, tracking and controlling projects;
10. Critical path scheduling which shows the sequence of events compatible with work breakdown structure;
11. Actual cost versus budget cost;
12. Resources procured outside the organization;
13. Project spend, delivery, service levels and contractual compliance;
14. Risks and mitigation strategies;
15. Project standards and procedures.
1. Lead and collaborate with multidisciplinary teams;
2. Set work priorities;
3. Manage budgets;
4. Coach less experienced team members in project management;
5. Interact with a variety of levels of personnel both within and outside the organization;
6. Draft the critical path schedule which shows the sequence of events compatible with work breakdown structure;
7. Document a detailed cost baseline from cost estimates;
8. Perform basic project planning;
9. Track and document project spend, delivery, service levels and contractual compliance;
10. Maintain project schedules;
11. Prepare and maintain necessary project documentation;
12. Lead a project team;
13. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
14. Manage all phases of the project life cycle and project plan;
15. Research and gather information necessary for project planning;
16. Negotiate conflicts and resolves issues;
17. Manage the project change management process;
18. Prepare and present reports related to project planning;
19. Provide the team with constructive feedback as it pertains to project performance.
Apex is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at 844-463-6178