UFG offers you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy, financially stable company. While we’ve always known our commitment to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others recognize our dedicated efforts. We've been named a Top Workplace for four consecutive years, and included on Forbes’ “America’s Most Trustworthy Financial Companies” every year since 2014. Additionally, UFG is a super-regional property and casualty insurer rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company.
The Senior Staff Attorney is responsible for providing high quality and cost-effective legal representation. Demonstrates superior knowledge and expertise in the litigation process, is well versed in construction defect litigation and provides excellent client service as part of a legal team. Responsible for independent, aggressive case handling with a resolution management focus.
- Independently conduct trials, depositions, pre-trial discovery, mediations, arbitrations or any other legal activity required to resolve cases. in an efficient and effective manner.
- Work directly with insureds, claimants, counsel mediators and courts in negotiating settlements.
- Review and discuss settlement values, defensive tactics and strategies with claims professionals Provide regular written status reports to claims professionals to keep them advised.
- Work with clients, claims professionals, underwriting, risk control and other third parties to resolve legal issues presented.
- Keep apprised of changes in law and court procedures. Comply with CLE requirements.
- Develop attorneys through coaching, mentoring and providing feedback.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
- Active license to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
- Active license to practice law in other states is a plus.
- 7+ years of Insurance Defense litigation experience, including substantial Construction Defect litigation experience required.
- Trial experience is required.
- Prior in-house Property & Casualty Insurance experience preferred.
- Experience in paperless file environment and Westlaw research preferred.
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Superior legal acumen.
- Able to effectively influence others through master negotiation techniques.
- Demonstrate superior use of trial skills and techniques.
- Strong analytical, decision-making, problem-solving, and planning skills.
- Strong and persuasive legal writing skills and oral advocacy skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), legal document management software, Westlaw/Lexis.
- Good time management and organization skills.
- Ability and desire to collaborate with and train trial attorneys, paralegals and support staff.
- Ability and desire to communicate with UFG about improving processes for the representation of insureds.
- Decision making ability to set work priorities and make recommendations.
- Ability to initiate, organize and coordinate complex projects and cases.
- Strong leadership skills, including motivating, influencing and problem solving.
- Sense of urgency and responsiveness.
- Appreciation for and commitment to delivery of high-quality legal work.
- Personal integrity and adherence to a high degree of professionalism and ethical competency.
- Demonstrates motivation to acquire effective trial skills with increased litigation complexity.
- Willingness to travel at 50%+ frequency.