Position: Sr. Systems Engineer
Reports to: IT Manager
Eventually might be the lead engineer
Team is Desktop support and 2 system engineers
Day to Day:
DataCenter in Shakopee and colocation at corporate. Moving to Azure cloud
Knowledge of Azure cloud would be great!
Network is all in place and running, but knowledge of network, VPNs, firewalls, etc. is a plus
Trying to get more enterprise knowledge to get processes into place.
Windows Server is a must
Any additional security knowledge would be great
Rank: Azure – network – security
Company Value Statements
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees are expected to demonstrate the following:
- Acting with the highest level of honesty, trust, character and transparency
- Making a unified effort to achieve the goals of the organization; embracing accountability for exceptional performance every day
- Commitment to excellence in reaching our full potential as individuals and as an organization, surpassing the ordinary and the expectations of our stakeholders
- Approaching every challenge with creative energy, discovering unique solutions to maximize success; focus on creating and delivering compelling customer value
- Belief in the power of a diverse workforce and in creating a positive impact on both the environment and our community
The Network Engineer role provides the technical knowledge and skills needed to implement solutions, evaluate products and provide a superior level of support that aligns with evolving business needs.
- Plan, organize, and execute cloud, network and server-related projects
- Monitor systems and advise management of possible security breaches and risks. Work with other teams in implementing secure systems from both internal and external threats. Advise management of any potential security risks to systems and possible remedies
- Participate in security related inquiries.
- Proactive monitoring systems to determine the health of services and servers in the data center and the cloud, documenting those systems in writing and training other team members and Computer Operations on their use. Assisting in regularly monitoring the results and providing a status report.
- Answers, evaluates, and prioritizes incoming requests for assistance from users experiencing problems with hardware, software, and other network/telephony-related technologies.
- Advise management of emerging technologies and designs that help save money and better meet business objectives and that may have an impact on network implementations in the future.
- Advise management of new service packs, firmware upgrades, patches, and other required maintenance needs.
- Document resolution for common problems and maintain repository of these documents; train other staff members on new documents.
- Regular reviews and status reports of current server capacity and planning for future growth. Monitor cloud spend and determine best cloud practices. Assist in reorganizing, archiving data, working with users to reduce usage as needed to manage capacity on systems.
- Proposes and implements change.
- Displays initiative; demonstrates persistence until goals are met.
- Responsible for managing and maintaining currently implemented backup routine.
- Setup and maintain a reporting schedule of error logs and provide a status report.
- Participates in providing after-hours, weekend, and holiday support as required
Office Environment, Business Casual Attire
Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time. The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as copy machine, and computer printer. The person in this position frequently communicates with customers; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations. Must be able to work after hours when necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Full Time, Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm CST
On Call Rotation for off hours support
No travel required
Required Education and Experience
- High School or equivalent; College preferred
- 4+ years installing and maintaining Microsoft Windows Servers and Virtual Server Environments
- 4+ years network and firewall administration
- Strong knowledge of Windows 2008, 2012r2, 2016 server and server upgrade
- Knowledge of Windows clustering and virtual server environments
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, DNS and DHCP based networks
- Understands security best practices
- Knowledge of WLAN, LAN, WAN, and Internet Security
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with all levels of users
Preferred Education and Experience
- ITIL Certification
- Knowledge of VMware, VDI, Veeam Backup & Replication, HP ProLiant Servers
- MCSE or higher certification or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of Office 365 email
- Familiar with SQL database servers
- Administer the CISCO VoIP phone/fax system; knowledge of SIP data transmission lines
- Knowledge of disk subsystems and management, including HP and IBM SAN/NAS technologies
- Working knowledge of voice and data communications hardware
- Working knowledge of firewall, IPS products and encryption technologies
- Working knowledge of MPLS and SIP technologies and hardware
- Adheres to ITIL general best practices
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Must be authorized to work in the United States.
Apex is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at 844-463-6178