Microchip Technology Inc. is a leading provider of embedded control applications. Our product portfolio comprises general purpose and specialized 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit microcontrollers, 32-bit microprocessors, field-programmable gate array (FPGA) products, a broad spectrum of high-performance linear, mixed-signal, power management, thermal management, radio frequency (RF), timing, safety, security, wired connectivity and wireless connectivity devices, as well as serial Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM), Serial Flash memories, Parallel Flash memories, and serial Static Random Access Memory (SRAM). We also license Flash-IP solutions that are incorporated in a broad range of products.
Microsemi's, a Microchip company, Discrete Products Group (DPG) offers one of the industry's most comprehensive power and RF/microwave discrete semiconductor product portfolios. The DPG encompasses two business units, the Power Discrete & Modules BU and the RF/Microwave Discretes BU. Markets that the PDM & RF/MW Discretes BU's address include: alternative energy, industrial, medical, defense, commercial aviation, communications, embedded systems, motor control, power solutions, sensors and security.
Our products in Simsbury include industry leading RF products such as:
- Surface Acoustic Wave (SAW) components and modules.
- SAW dispersive delay line modules for RADAR pulse compression.
- Voltage Controlled SAW Oscillators (VCSO) with exceptionally low phase noise performance.
We are looking for a Sr. Staff Engineer to develop new low noise Voltage Controlled SAW Oscillator (VCSO) and frequency synthesizer products as well as support existing SAW product lines.
- Collaborate with product line manager, other sales and marketing personnel and the customer to define product requirements and project scope.
- Generate a plan to meet the defined requirements and scope. The plan will be comprehensive and cover all project aspects from conception / receipt of order to product release and production support.
- Manage and mentor team of design, product and test engineers to execute product development projects and sustaining engineering activities.
- Define product architecture and perform mechanical and electrical design tasks to realize product requirements. This typically involves RF & DC circuit design and simulation, PCB design, EM simulation, and stress analysis. Mechanical / thermal FEA analysis may be required. Monte-Carlo or other statistical analysis may be required.
- Work with procurement, manufacturing process engineers and test engineers to ensure design is realizable and to maximize yield in production. This occurs both before and after product release and statistical analysis is typically required.
- Compile and present design review data packages to both internal and external customers.
- Perform root cause / corrective action analysis on WIP or field failures as necessary.
- Work with other engineers to generate and validate all tools required by manufacturing to realize the product. These include drawings, travelers, bills of materials, schematics, test procedures, acceptance test limits, process specifications, production aids, etc.
- Work on other projects or responsibilities as assigned.
- A minimum of a BS in Electrical Engineering
- A minimum of 15 years experience working with RF / Microwave circuits up to 10 GHz
- Experience managing team of engineers.
- In depth knowledge of network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, signal analyzers and oscilloscopes as well as other fundamental lab equipment.
- Experience performing phase noise measurements.
- A minimum of 10 years experience designing RF and/or microwave products.
- A minimum of 5 years experience designing low noise voltage controlled oscillators.
- Experience using DC and RF circuit simulators. ADS preferred.
- Strong failure analysis techniques and efficient problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability and experience programming a personal computer.
- Good Microsoft Office skills with high proficiency in Excel.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with ability to prepare and present technical data and report on engineering concepts to team members.
- Must possess or be able to obtain (at company’s expense) a Secret level clearance.
- US Citizenship is a prerequisite.
- MS degree or higher in electrical engineering and/or MBA.
- Prior experience designing low noise RF / microwave frequency synthesizers.
- Prior experience using Agilent 5052B or Holzworth HA7062.
- Dexterity, visual acuity and soldering technique to remove and/or install components down to 0402 size to enable evaluating hardware.
- Experience performing Finite Element Analysis (FEA) modelling of mechanical and thermal problems.
- Familiarity with characterization data collection/crunching and statistical capability analysis using common tools such as Excel or Minitab.
- Familiarity with statistical methods such as: Hypothesis testing, Design of Experiments, Statistical Process Control and Gage R&R.
- Experience programming in Fortran, Visual Basic and Matlab.
- Experience with database software such as Microsoft Access or SQL server.
- Ability to think out-of-the-box and create unique solutions to problems.
Citizenship/Permanent US Residency requirements as outlined below: This job requires access to technology, materials, software or hardware that is controlled by the export laws of the United States and that are classified. Candidates are required to provide proof of US citizenship and be able to obtain a secret level clearance.
Equal Opportunity EmployerMicrochip is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer of Disabled / Veterans / Minorities / Women. We provide equal employment and affirmative action opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state or local laws.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to the EEO is the Law Poster and the EEO is the Law Poster Supplement. Please also refer to the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.