Primary Location: US-KS-Overland Park
The Sr Telecommunications Engineer is responsible for the administration and management of telecommunication equipment, systems, and services used by the company. This role will perform analysis and make recommendations to improve the services, cost and supportability of telecommunications across ~400 locations. In addition, this role will implement new services and ensure efficient and effective support of those telecommunications services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Install, configure, test and maintain telecommunications systems, software and management tools.
- Maintaining and enhancing accurate documentation steps for installation, maintenance and configuration activities.
- Manages team and small cross functional/departmental projects. Coordinates the successful execution of project activities. Assists and develops project presentation. Presents project presentation to technical groups.
- Defines and documents work and implementation standards/processes/procedures for the broader work group.
- Assists in the planning, design and implementation of communications networks.
- Provides input and recommendations to management for identifying and prioritizing tasks, preparing budget information and variance data, and identifying objectives for project management.
- Drives automation, simplifies and consolidates Telecommunications platforms and processes.
- Develops strategy/roadmap, identify and recommend new technology solutions to meet business needs.
- Actively participates in and drives vendor support.
- Demonstrates expert understanding of communications systems and manages the functionality, capacity, reliability, availability and recoverability of communication systems, equipment and service.
- Reviews service trends and works with organization to implement preventative measures to improve service delivery.
- Manage and monitor all installed telecommunications systems
- Monitor and test telecommunication architectures, identify possible solutions, and work with customers to implement those fixes
- Evaluates and responds appropriately to customer issues and requests. Handles highly complex issues without assistance. Escalates when necessary to appropriate team or individual to resolve.
- Provides 3rd level support
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
- Maintains platform related inventory and other hardware/software/license tracking documentation.
- Works complex incidents, performs troubleshooting, administers repairs. Drives team to meet team SLAs. Takes leadership role in effectively resolving high severity issues, complex problems and outages in a timely manner.
- Provide move, add, change services for all telecommunications related services.
- Actively trains and mentor’s others, is openly considered a mentor by other team members
- May act as a team lead for key areas of expertise and drive key projects or ongoing operational functions
- Provides guidance to team members for complex issues, customer service and technology best practices.
- Adaptability - Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment (e.g., people, processes, structure, or culture); adjusting effectively to change by exploring the benefits, trying new approaches, and collaborating with others to make the change successful.
- Building Trusting Relationships - Using appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interacting with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one’s intentions.
- Collaborating - Working cooperatively with others to help a team or work group achieve its goals.
- Communication - Conveying information and ideas clearly and concisely to individuals or groups in an engaging manner that help them understand and retain the message; listening actively to others.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
- Initiating Action - Taking prompt action to accomplish work goals; taking action to achieve results beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Work Standards - Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Bachelor's Degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum seven (7) years of relevant technical knowledge in areas related voice network operations.
- Experience with Avaya, ShoreTel, Cisco or Mitel voice systems.
- Experience with Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
- Ability to work effectively with personnel on all levels.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience in supporting a large telecommunications infrastructure.
- Experience with Session Border Controllers.
- Experience with Session Initiation Protocol (SIP).
This job primarily operates in a professional office environment indoors. Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
The position requires the ability to spend long hours sitting or standing while using office equipment and computers. Ability to perform repetitive tasks such as typing and keying. Occasional lifting, pushing/pulling, carrying 10 lbs of supplies and materials is required.
YRC Worldwide is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Minorities/Females/Persons with Disabilities/Protected Veterans