▶Who we are
Imagine working in a place where continuous improvement and innovation is celebrated and rewarded; where fast-paced, high-impact teams come together to positively drive results for one of the largest & most iconic brands in the world.
As the only rapidly growing retailer, you may know us as your friendly neighborhood store. You probably know our familiar name, have seen our pervasive logo, and have tried our highly sought-after products, such as Slurpee® and Big Bite®. “Brain Freeze” is a 7-Eleven registered trademark for our 53-year old Slurpee® and with over 67,000 stores globally (more than any other retailer or food service provider), we sell over 14 million a month.
But there’s a lot more to our story and much more left to be written. We are transforming our business, ensuring we are customer obsessed and digitally enabled to seamlessly link our brick and mortar stores with digital products and services.
At 7-Eleven the entrepreneurial spirit is in our DNA and has been ever since our inception 90+ years ago. It’s what drove us to invent the convenience industry in 1927 by envisioning how a simple ice dock could provide household staples such as milk and eggs to better serve the needs of our customers.
Today we are redefining convenience and the customer experience in big ways...we are fundamentally changing our culture and we want talented, innovative, customer obsessed, and entrepreneurial people like you to come make history with us.
▶How we lead
At 7-Eleven we are guided by our Leadership Principles.
- Be Customer Obsessed
- Be Courageous with Your Point of View
- Challenge the Status Quo
- Act Like an Entrepreneur
- Have an “It Can Be Done” Attitude
- Do the Right Thing
- Be Accountable
Each principle has a defined set of behaviors which help guide the 7-Eleven team to Serve Customers and Support Stores.
▶About This Opportunity
This position is responsible for evaluating, reviewing and performing expense accruals at month end to ensure company expenses are properly and adequately recorded according to GAAP.
- Perform flux analysis for balance sheet and P&L line items on a monthly basis for executive review purposes.
- Performs review of company contracts including acquisition, divesture, supply and IT contracts and analyze for accounting implications.
- Reconcile large volume general ledger accounts.
- Month end close process.
- Responsible for a large number of accrual entries.
- Determine outstanding liabilities for major company expenses, according to GAAP.
- Requires in-depth understanding of accrual method of accounting and ability to interpret heavy financial data.
- Work with 7-Eleven department business process owners to ensure amounts to be accrued are accurate.
- Review the month end checklist to ensure no entries are duplicated or missed.
- Follow up to ensure balance in GL accounts are reversed appropriately.
- Ensure recurring expenses are properly accrued by service month.
- Handle questions or concerns from all levels of management regarding their P & L accrual entries.
- Perform various monthly balance sheet reclassifications and clearing to ensure proper balance sheet presentation under GAAP.
- Perform P&L and balance sheet flux analysis for certain P&L and balance sheet line items on a monthly basis for executive review purposes.
- Coordinate with business owners to understand and document the business reasons for the P&L and balance sheet flux. This requires strong analytical skills to analyze data in FDS and provide clear responses for the variances.
- Prepare General ledger Account Reconciliations.
- Responsible for the coordination of timely clearing of items for assigned general ledger accounts and communication of issues to the appropriate individuals within the company.
- Ensure compliance with (GAAP) generally accepted accounting principles, Sarbanes-Oxley 404 control procedures and company procedures. Assist in quarterly/annual SOX walkthrough, testing and updating business process narratives for AP related areas.
- Prepare all balance sheet reports after the books are closed on 6th workday.
- Act as a back-up for the mid-month and end of month forecast for the compensation lines on the Company’s P&L. This requires a thorough understanding of the payroll schedules, timely execution and strong analytical skills to analyze data in FDS and estimate accrual accounts and other non-recurring items.
- Position is involved in the cash receipts process and performs the reconciliation between the GL and the deposits confirmation.
- Act as a back-up for other tasks such as daily deposits and cash receipts review within the cash receipts application.
- Assist with updating store information in the location database.
- Perform other ad hoc projects as requested by management.
- This is a key position during the Financial Month End Close as well as the monthly forecast preparation process. Ability to audit financial data and make necessary corrections is critical during the close process.
- Correct errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents and reports. May be required to work additional hours during the month end close process as well as the additional demands for the final closing of the books during the quarter end and year end close process.
- At year end as well as quarterly close, there is a greater emphasis on getting all of the expenses booked in the proper year, as well as any correcting entries and account reconciliation issues resolved before the close of the books.
- Assists with preparation of footnotes and other supplemental information during the quarter end and year end reporting.
- Working experience with GAAP, month end close, and accounting systems (preferably Oracle) is preferred.
- Demonstrate ability to apply principles of accounting to analyze and prepare financial information.
- Perform account research and analyses to determine trends, estimates, and significant changes.
- Knowledge of accounting that includes spreadsheet preparation Streamline processes by utilizing the system to download/upload data.
- May be requested to assist with contract reviews including review of single site acquisitions, divesture, supply and IT agreements. Analyze contracts reviewed and document the accounting impact in accordance with GAAP to be communicated to various accounting department to be executed.
- Assist in the evaluation of single site store acquisitions and summarize store acquisitions including how purchase price and goodwill shall be allocated and recorded.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting.
- 2-5 years of accounting related experience.
- Public accounting experience is a plus.
- CPA certification or candidate is preferred, but not required.
- A comprehensive understanding of GAAP, accounting procedure, accounting concepts and internal control processes in accounts payable and general accounting.
- Requires intermediate to advanced computer skills to produce reports and spreadsheets.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills are needed.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills.