Work it! Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a Team Appreciation Day, unlimited meal discounts, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
Staff Accountant- General Accounting
In this newly-created role, the Staff Accountant of General Accounting will be responsible for assisting in the accounting of general functions as it relates to Shake Shack’s Home Office and Shack-level operations, including but not limited to the preparation of journal entries related to accruals, prepaids, inventory, COGS, pre-opening expenses, and G&A. The Staff Accountant of General Accounting is a self-motivated, adaptive, quick learner who can manage and prioritize an evolving workload in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision. The ideal candidate will have a highly inquisitive mindset, strong work ethic, attention to detail and a desire for continuous process improvement. The Staff Accountant of General Accounting will be able to work well across functions and form relationships throughout the Company to facilitate involvement in Company-wide processes and initiatives.
- Prepare period-end entries, account reconciliations, and account analyses as it relates to owned areas (including but not limited to accruals, prepaids, inventory, COGS, pre-opening expenses, and G&A), with appropriate SOX documentation and support when required.
- Facilitate period-end closings by ensuring the accurate and timely completion of all responsibilities.
- Ensure appropriate submissions and coding of expense reports, in conjunction with the AP team.
- Act as a key member of cross-departmental teams to improve the flow of data and reporting.
- Help drive the reduction of the close timeline by assessing and streamlining close-related activities.
- Manage and/or support the implementation of on-going process improvement initiatives.
- Support compliance of SOX key controls related to owned accounts and processes.
Annual Audit and Quarterly Reviews
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations.
- Provide requested support to Tax and Financial Reporting and adhere to external reporting timelines.
- Collaborate with other Home Office teams where required and appropriate.
- Strengthen and maintain relationships with both internal and external parties.
- Remain current on accounting and other regulatory changes impacting general accounting and owned areas.
- Remain current on Restaurant and Retail industry-specific technologies and emerging trends.
- Prepare reports/analyses and participate in other projects as needed
Skills & Knowledge
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance required.
- Ability to work under pressure and within tight deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail. Ability to organize, prioritize and multi-task responsibilities.
- Innovative team player. Self-motivated and able to work on cross-functional teams.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- 1 year of working experience in private and/or public accounting.
- Experience at “Big 4” public accounting firm preferred.
- Experience in the Restaurant and/or Retail industries preferred
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Transit Discount Program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Dining Program
- Referral Bonus
- Online Training Program
- Career Development
- Corporate Fitness Discount Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer,Founderand CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author ofSetting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed tohigh qualityfood served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophythey we"Stand for Something Good."
Shake Shack is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental and physical), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital, military and veteran status.
Our company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.