GENERAL STAFF ACCOUNTANT JOB DESCRIPTION
The General Staff Accountant reports to the Controller. Maintains and controls the General Ledger accounts and business transactions of the organization, applying the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and a thorough review of financial records.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Controller with the day-to-day, monthly and year-end operations of the Accounting/Finance Department including grant management and budget review and analysis.
- Perform the processing and recording of accounts payable transactions and ensure that all invoices and staff reimbursements are paid accurately and in accordance with Finance policies and procedures.
- Manage the processing of cash receipts, recording of revenue and receivable and work closely with the Development Team to ensure that revenues and receivables in MIP are reconciled with Salesforce data at any given time.
- Prepare and analyze the monthly budget/forecast to actual variance reports per program and Perform general accounts analysis and reconciliations, including bank statements, fixed assets, employer’s benefit costs, accruals, and prepaid expenses.
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports such as financial statements, budget performance, and interim grant financial reporting.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Monitor and collect data to assess accuracy and integrity; analyze data; ensure compliance with applicable standards (i.e. GAAP), rules, regulations, and systems of internal control; interpret and evaluate results, prepare documentation; create financial reports and/or presentations.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in order to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Be able to demonstrate attention to details and good-record-keeping
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, especially Excel).
- Hands-on detail-oriented tasks.
- Team player and can collaborate with other teams in the organization.
- High level of interpersonal skills with demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy
- Demonstrate a proficient level of professional skill and/or knowledge in accounting and keep current with developments and trends. Knowledge and ability to use applicable information technology and systems to meet work needs.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, with the ability to clearly communicate issues to all levels of management.
- At least 2 solid years of accounting and 4+ of cumulative relevant experience (accounting operations and/or audit).
- With a strong background in budget preparation and grant management (private funders and government grants).
- Must have a degree in Accounting or Finance.