What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:The Staff Accountant will be responsible for the accounting functions relating to State National’s Fronting operations. The clients assigned to a Staff Accountant are considered routine or run-off and require basic knowledge of Program Manager / Reinsurer / Company relationships.
- Manage assigned program managers including but not limited to, agent and reinsurance contract analysis and management, monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting and receivables.
- Read, review, and interpret reinsurance/program manager/company treaties. Determine all calculations and financial statement impacts along with proper accounting treatment of all entries.
- Communicate routinely with assigned program managers and other functional areas (reinsurance, actuarial, compliance, legal, financial reporting, treasury, client services and disbursements) to resolve issues and effectively manage assigned programs.
- Send and monitor receipt of special reporting requests (Statutory, Premium Tax, Schedule P, Audit, Assessments).
- Reconcile and validate all data received from assigned programs.
- Perform trend and fluctuation analysis on all underwriting data related to assigned programs.
- Participate in internal and external audit processes.
- Participate in other strategic accounting and business projects as they arise.
- Perform special projects as assigned
- Develop working relationships with internal and external customers
- Develop working knowledge of insurance accounting and financial reporting
- Handle all inquiries in a timely manner and research problems as required
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Products including but not limited to Excel
- Knowledge of accounting software applications
- Knowledge of general accounting principles
- Good decision making and judgement skills
- Good attention to detail
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong commitment to task assigned
- Strong communication skills
- Bachelor's Degree required - Accounting preferred
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.