Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
American Express Global Card Network Platform authorizes and processes all of the company’s customer card transactions. The Card Network platform is the critical back bone for all of American Express card transactions, and is a near real time low latency system that is always available and highly resilient, processing transactions from around the world 24x7, 365 days a year.
American Express is making strategic investments in new card network products and platforms to allow the company to meet its ambitious global growth agenda. American Express is looking for strong leaders and engineers to be part of high energy and efficient teams that will build and support our next generation card network systems.
As a Staff Engineer, you will be a hands-on senior engineer building highly available and scalable distributed system on the cloud that supports the company's long-term strategy and vision. Your primary responsibility is design and develop our next generation distributed transaction platform supporting Amex card transactions. Staff Engineers in American Express is an individual contributor role and is at the same level as a Director of Engineering.Key Initiatives:
- Card Transaction Engine and Transaction Routing,
- Platform Engineering and Foundational Capabilities of distributed systems
- High Availability, Resiliency and Performance Engineering on Cloud
- You will be responsible for design and building key components of a distributed real-time transaction engine.
- Build high level design as well as detailed design of complex subsystems with emphasis in high availability and low latency.
- Working with developers in day to day activities and helping in review of design, coding and the SDLC tasks.
- Build POCs to experiment new technologies, databases and other application infrastructure.
- You will constantly purse and learn industry leading/innovative technologies and solutions. Be acutely aware of enabling technologies and open-source products to build low latency distributed systems.
- Lead a culture of innovation and experimentation, engage in fun and outcome oriented culture, and always be ready to try new concepts without fear of failure.
- Collaborate with peer technology and product teams across different locations.
- You have Computer Science / Information Systems degree, or equivalent with at-least 8+ years of work experience.
- Strong implementation experience using languages like C/C++, GoLang or Java. Keen understanding of how to build highly performant systems with such languages.
- Hands on experience in building distributed micro-service systems, experience with Service Mesh products/frameworks like such as Envoy, Linkerd, Itsio, gRPC/ProtoBuf; Distributed System Management/tracing and monitoring such as Zipkin/Jaeger, ELK Stack, Prometheus
- Have experience in designing and building Cloud native applications. Experience in cloud platforms like Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift are a plus.
- Experience in using NoSQL databases and distributed messaging systems such as Redis, Kafka, Couchbase, Cassandra in the context of low latency and high transaction volume systems.
- Have built and delivered large scale enterprise systems/products. Implemented critical aspects of the such systems and have supported such applications in production as SAS service.
- Keen awareness of concerns in massively distributed systems and effective solutions.
- Experience working in DevOps teams and Scrums.
- Ability to learn and deep dive into new technology and business domains, question status quo and think outside of the box.
- Have excellent written and verbal communications skills. Create and deliver effective presentations to Senior Leadership.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.