Staff Mechanical Designer Requisition ID 201728 Job Type Computer Aided Drafting & Design
DescriptionThe Staff Mechanical Designer will perform various phases of planning, site evaluations, analytical designs, report preparation, specifications, and preparation of proposal and construction documentation and piping plans as part of a project team. This position will work on various projects with a diverse portfolio of project types and clients.
- Perform a variety of assignments using prescribed methods and standard techniques including drawing sequence and presentation, incorporating various system components, and refining rough sketches. Follow all company, client and project design and drafting standards.
- Produce complete PFDs and P&IDs from verbal or written description from the design engineer.
- Execute basic formulas, principles and practices, and use acquired knowledge of fundamental concepts and practices pertaining to the piping discipline.
- Plan and develop drawings for production work including problem analysis, design layout and calculations on non-routine assignments of substantial variety and complexity.
- Execute variety of piping design assignments using prescribed methods and standard techniques including drawing sequence and presentation, sizing various system components and refining rough sketches.
- Execute changes to designs or sketches and redlines or mark-ups on ongoing projects.
- Analyze reports, drawings, and tests to plan and design projects.
- Interpret and incorporate design codes and specifications related to design requirements.
- Review design drawings for quality assurance within scope, budget and schedule. Perform projects tasks and assignments within budgeted hours and deadlines.
- Compute calculations for layouts, equipment, wiring diagrams, and schematics.
- Responsible for the revisions of project drawings, plot files and project-related information are stored in a logical and well-structured manner.
- Responsible for clear and concise written and verbal communications, as it relates to the project client coordination.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in drafting technology or related field and seven years related experience or associate's degree and eight years related experience or nine years progressive detailing and design experience.
- Advanced understanding of design software such as: AutoCAD, MicroStation, and Excel to develop the design deliverables. Ability to learn and effectively utilize new design software programs.
- Advanced ability to utilize both 2D and 3D applications to prepare engineering drawings.
- Advanced knowledge in design, calculations and design systems.
- Advanced knowledge in the theory and practices of assigned discipline; competent in the fundamental concepts of other disciplines as they relate to the assigned discipline; and capable of operating related discipline design software necessary to execute production tasks.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others including, but not limited to Project Managers, Engineers and Designers in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, and attention to detail.
Schedule Full-time Travel Yes, 5 % of the Time
Primary Location US-CA-Brea