Staff Mechanical Designer Requisition ID 182368 Job Type Computer Aided Drafting & Design
Burns & McDonnell’s office in Downtown Chicago is actively seeking a Staff Mechanical Designer to prepare and create 3D drawings for projects in the life science industry, including pharmaceutical, medical device, and biologics. Burns & McDonnell is a 100% employee-owned firm ranked on FORTUNE’s List of 100 Best Companies to Work For and voted as a Best Place to Work in numerous cities across the United States.
This position offers challenging work with significant project variety at a successful, growing company. These projects encompass infrastructure and facility design, and include clean rooms, pharmaceutical facilities, biologics facilities, research and development labs, medical device facilities, and personnel /administration buildings.
The Staff Mechanical Designer will work on an integrated design team within our Global Facilities Global Practice to perform the following duties:
- Design and prepare detailed drawings for site layout and development, HVAC layout and ductwork, master planning, process & utility piping, equipment layout, and plumbing.
- Use 3D CAD and other software, including Autodesk Plant 3D 2018, Revit, Navisworks, Recap, Bluebeam, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, Office 2016.
- Use 3D software to assist in modeling equipment and pipe networks, managing styles and template development.
- Demonstrate knowledge of CAD standards and best practices.
- Learn and successfully apply company, client, and project drafting standards and procedures.
- Demonstrate ability to apply formulas, principles, and practices to complete required drawings.
- Provide a range of drawing production work including problem analysis, layout, detailing, drafting, and calculations on project of substantial variety and complexity.
- Demonstrate knowledge of assigned and related disciplines.
- Coordinate drafting activities with other designers, drafters, and design disciplines.
- Successfully communicate and correspond with internal design resources and external clients and personnel.
- Execute design changes and project drawing revisions.
- Maintain CAD proficiency and work toward mastering current CAD systems.
- May perform field inspections
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in drafting technology with minimum of 3 years related experience or Associates degree with minimum of 4 years related experience or specialized CAD certification or high school diploma with minimum 5 years of related experience.
- Proficiency in at least one 3D design software package. AutoCAD Plant 3D experience is preferred. Revit experience is beneficial.
- Coursework and/or experience in pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and/or other life science market segments is preferred.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to independently complete required drawings.
- Previous internship or related consulting experience is preferred.
Schedule Full-time Travel Yes, 5 % of the Time
Primary Location US-IL-Chicago