Job Title: Staff Scientist, Bioinformatics
Requisition ID: 121471BR
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Location/Division Specific Information
Division: Genetic Services Division
Location: Emeryville CA
How will you make an impact?
The Bioinformatics Department in the Life Science Group of Thermo Fisher Scientific seeks a talented and motivated Staff Scientist, Bioinformatics to provide analytical support for internal product research and development efforts. Work closely with Thermo Fisher Scientific scientists in the analysis and interpretation of DNA microarrays, sequencing and other data for applications such as determining gene copy number, genotyping SNPs, methylation, expression and more. Apply creative approaches to understanding genomic data and developing analytical pipelines in the development of products that improve human and animal health.
What will you do?
How will you get here?Education:
- Create application of new and existing data analysis techniques to copy number, genotype, methylation and expression data.
- Work with large complex data sets.
- Interact with research and product development teams in experimental design and subsequent analysis and interpretation of data.
Masters with 5+ years experience, PhD, or equivalent experience. Preferred degree in Bioinformatics. Will consider Bachelors with 8+ years’ experience. Experience
- Experience with data analysis in the biological sciences.
- Must have advanced programming skills in Python or Perl in a UNIX environment and experience with R or MATLAB.
- Must have experience with bioinformatics databases and tools, such as high-throughput genomic mapping and sequence alignments, and be familiar with relational databases and SQL.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Experience in analysis of microarray and sequence data is highly desired.
- Experience with other genomic technologies considered a plus.
- Experience using web-based frameworks (like D3 or node.js) to visualize data considered a plus as well as experience with processing data using a parallel framework.
- Must possess exceptional communication skills and strong initiative and demonstrated ability to take ownership of challenging problems.
- Must enjoy working as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.