The Stationary Engineer is responsible for the operation, maintenance, renovation and repair of boiler systems and all other mechanical systems in a facility. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but Sodexo may identify
other responsibilities of the position. These responsibilities may differ among accounts, depending on business necessities and client requirements.
- Operates and maintains stationary engines and equipment such as steam engines, boilers, air compressors, generators, turbines, and refrigeration equipment.
- Records data (temperature, hours of operation, fuel consumption, water levels, etc.), reading dials, gauges, and manuals.
- Adjusts manual controls or overrides automatic controls to start or shut down equipment.
- Conducts safety tests and periodically inspects, repairs, adjusts, and lubricates.
- Performs preventative maintenance of equipment, as required, using hand and power tools.
- Records and reports actions taken and feeds chemicals and caustics into systems and devices.
- Observes the results of water titration tests.
- Follows all Sodexo and regulatory agency policies and may be required to hold a license issued by a state or municipality that restricts the kinds of equipment operated to specified types and sizes.
- May operate a computer, telephone, television and maintenance tools and equipment.
- Document all work in the CMMS system.
- Identifies and corrects unsafe working conditions with management oversight.
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
- Applies all applicable OSHA and related local safety requirements to all assigned work.
- Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience.
- 1 or more years of related work experience.
- Ability to present self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics are essential.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
- Ability to maintain a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, customers and client representatives.
- Ability to provide clear directions and respond accordingly to employees.
- Must have basic phone and computer skills (email, texting, etc.).
- Good attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work well alone and in a team.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in all OSHA and local requirements related to all assigned work.
- Holds appropriate license/certification for the specific work to be done in the city and state in which the work will be done.
- Minimum requirement is boiler operator’s license.
- A valid driver’s license may be required.
- Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
- Maturity of judgment and behavior.
- Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance.
- Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity in light of Sodexo time and attendance policy and/or client operating hours.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Must comply with any dress code requirements.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
Working Conditions (may add additional conditions specific to defined work location):
- Generally in an indoor setting; however, may participate in outside activities and events.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, weekends and extended hours as business dictates.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily in a controlled, temperate environment; however, may be exposed to heat/cold during support of outside activities.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Wears protective clothing and/or Personal Protective Equipment required by the work environment or governmental regulations.