POSITION DESCRIPTION: STEM/STEAM BUS DRIVER/FACILITATOR
This position operates and maintains the STEM/STEAM Bus for the purpose of transporting students and other persons in a safe manner while also facilitating STEM/STEAM activities.
- A valid Arizona Teaching Certificate (preferred).
- Must possess a valid Arizona commercial driver’s license with passenger and air brake endorsements.
- Must possess skill in the operation of school bus and bus equipment.
- Must understand and comply with all traffic laws.
- Must have exemplary driving record and proof must be obtained from the Motor Vehicle Records annually.
- Must maintain an exceptionally clean, accident-free driving history.
- Must possess First Aid certification and CPR training.
- Must pass a physical examination annually and possess a Department of Transportation health card.
- Must successfully pass a drug screen urinalysis annually or as requested.
- Must possess an Arizona School Bus Driver Certificate by meeting state requirements and standards.
- Must be able to push, pull or lift weights up to 50 pounds.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED; or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess a valid Arizona IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card.
III. Duties and Responsibilities
- Delivers STEM/STEAM-oriented instruction through project-based learning methods.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques, instructional media, and performance assessments, which guide the learning process toward STEM/STEAM Bus goals and passenger learning.
- Uses technology to promote learning, creativity, and collaboration.
- Works directly with school administrators and staff in the development, implementation, and evaluation of STEM/STEAM initiatives and curriculum.
- Collaborates with School and District Administration to organize, develop, and coordinate special STEM/STEAM events/activities for achievement and enrichment purposes.
- Collaborates with School and District Administration to organize, develop, and coordinate special Puzzle Room events/activities for achievement and enrichment purposes.
- Serves as liaison to prospective or selected STEM/STEAM vendors, to determine the best resources, options and innovations that will optimize the learning experience for students, staff, and community members.
- Initiates new programs that support the STEM/STEAM Bus vision.
- Captures and shares STEM/STEAM Bus events and activities through social media, such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Drives bus on to and from scheduled events, local and out of town.
- Maintains order among the participants, supervises their behavior and enforces district standards of conduct on buses.
- Conducts emergency evacuation drills twice yearly.
- Administers first-aid when necessary.
- Maintains interior and exterior of bus clean and neat.
- Makes minor seat repairs and removes graffiti.
- Services bus daily, including putting in fuel, oil, power steering fluid, coolant, windshield washer solvent, and fluid level in battery.
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspections as specified in the Department of Transportation regulations.
- Checks bus constantly for mechanical defects and needed repairs in accordance with the district bus safety program and reports defects or needed repairs on the daily inspection report.
- Keeps record of gas and oil usage, mileage, and the number of students and other persons transported as required.
- Attends monthly safety meetings, and professional development as is pertinent for the operation of the bus and the facilitation of STEM/STEAM instruction.
- Performs a 15-minute bus check prior to driving scheduled route.
- Must be able to react professionally for the safety of the students and other persons in the event of an emergency.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Special Characteristics and Requirements: Employees of this class perform under the general supervision of the Director of Operations. Lives of others depend on the safe operation of buses. Drivers must be of good moral character, reliable, safety conscious, dependable, neat and clean, able to get along with others, of sound physical condition, free of use of intoxicating or consciousness influencing substances and emotionally stable (patient, calm under stress, even tempered, and considerate).
Reports To: Supervisor of Transportation for bus operation; Assistant Superintendent for bus facilitation responsibilities.
Status: Classified Support Salary Schedule and District Benefits Package; if certified through ADE, Certified Support Salary Schedule and District Benefits Package