Decontaminates, cleans, packages, sterilizes, stores and distributes medical/surgical, equipment and supplies in accordance withCDC, OSHA, EPA, AAMI, Title 22, APIC, SGNA, JC guidelines as required.
- Make equipment rounds and return soiled equipment to SPD; clean equipment per manufacturer's recommendations and validate functionality prior to storage; validate PM status on equipment issued from and returned to SPD per department policy.
- Answer phones.
- Inventory and restock supplies, and specialty carts i.e. isolation, latex, crash carts, etc. per department policy.
- Order specialty beds and other patient equipment per medical center practice.
- Disassembles, cleans or decontaminates surgical instruments per manufacturer's recommendations including ultrasonic cleaning.
- Assembles, inspects, tests, wraps and dates simple sets per department protocol according manufacturer's recommendations.
- Operate all equipment in Sterile Processing Department including, but not limited to, steam sterilizers, plasma sterilizers, automated endoscope reprocessors, biological incubators, heat sealers, instrument and cart washers.
- Use of instrument and equipment tracking system in all areas of Sterile Processing Department including documentation of tests and sterilizer records.
- Examines and maintains integrity of sterile packages.
- Prepare OR case carts according to preference cards on all surgical procedures.
- Promotes, ensures, and improves customer service to internal and external customers.
- Able to work in a collaborative environment.
- Perform other related duties as assigned within the scope of training and service.
Pay Grade: 22
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED).
- Completion of an accredited Sterile Processing Program including 400 clinical hours or a Surgical Technician program.
License, Certification, Registration
- Basic knowledge of instrument processing techniques, including but not limited to decontamination, assembly, and sterilization.
- Knowledge of Sterile Processing Department Policies and Procedures; be able to articulate on soaps and detergents, methods of packaging, types of sterilization methods and parameters, infection control practices, high-level disinfection practices, and safe practices in Sterile Processing Department.
- Knowledge of medical, nursing, and surgical supplies and equipment.
- Ability to distinguish colors and hear audible alarms required.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a stressful environment.
- Basic computer skills.
- One (1) year of recent experience as a Sterile Processing Technician or Surgical Technician working in Sterile Processing Department in an acute hospital or ambulatory setting.
- Sterile Processing or Surgical Technician national certification preferred.
- This is an on-call
position, days and hours may vary.