The Guest House at Graceland is the newest and one of the largest hotels in Memphis, TN. Inspired by Elvis’ iconic home, every aspect of The Guest House at Graceland reflects Elvis’ personal style and the unique character of Graceland, from the southern colonial exterior to themed specialty suites, many with designs supervised by Priscilla Presley. The Guest House at Graceland features 450 spacious rooms and a range of elegant and contemporary facilities, including two full-service restaurants, over 20,000 square feet of meeting and special events space, a large outdoor pool and a 464-seat theater for live performances and movies. Find out today what a career at the Guest House at Graceland and with Pyramid Hotel Group can mean for you!
Hotel Stewards perform a variety of duties and responsibilities every shift. They often must switch back and forth between multiple tasks, which takes a flexible work style. The following list outlines the core duties and responsibilities Hotel Stewards perform daily.
Maintain Cleanliness of all Dining Utensils
Hotel Stewards are responsible for making sure all plates, glasses, bowls and silverware are perfectly cleaned between uses. This often involves using an industrial dishwasher and then hand polishing to remove leftover smudges.
Maintain Cleanliness of Kitchen and Storage Areas
Hotel Stewards also have to make sure the kitchen and storage areas are kept clean at all times. This includes cleaning industrial kitchen appliances, such as stoves, grills, freezers and ovens. This is an integral part of the Hotel Steward’s job, as the kitchen must meet health and safety standards at all times.
Assist With Food Storage, Rotation and Preparation
Although Hotel Stewards are not responsible for cooking, they are responsible for minor food preparation. This includes things like preparing fresh salads, garnishing dishes and adding fresh salt or pepper according to customer taste.
Maintain High Standards of Personal Appearance
The personal appearance code varies slightly by employer, but the industry standard for Hotel Stewards is having a clean and professional appearance at all times. This means wearing appropriate dress, covering tattoos and maintaining facial hair.
Approach Each Customer Encounter With Positive Attitude
Hotel Stewards spend a majority of their time in the back of the house, but some of their duties do involve interacting with customers. With hotel dining, it is all about the customer experience. Hotel Stewards must contribute to this experience by consistently maintaining a positive attitude in all interactions with customers.
- Organizational Skills – Hotel Stewards routinely call upon their organizational skills to make sure the kitchen and storage areas are kept clean and organized. The better they do this job, the quicker chefs can prepare customer meals.
- Attention to Detail – When it comes to fine dining, the presentation of a dish matters almost as much as taste. Hotel Stewards call upon their keen attention to detail in order to perfectly garnish dishes, as well as making sure all glass and silverware are perfectly polished.
- Ability to Multitask – As we mentioned earlier, Hotel Stewards work in a hectic environment. They are constantly multitasking – especially during busy hours. Hotel Stewards who struggle with multitasking don’t last long.
- Communication Skills – Hotel Stewards are in constant communication with the wait and kitchen staff. They must be able to communicate clearly and effectively, as the function of back end of a dining establishment depends on this communicative clarity.
- Prioritization Skills – Similar to multitasking, Hotel Stewards must be able to quickly prioritize tasks in order of most to least critical. Everything done in the back of the house is time sensitive, so this is a vital skill for Hotel Stewards to possess.