About CBIZ CMF
CBIZ CMF is a division of CBIZ (NYSE: CBZ) with a service line focused on mergers, acquisitions, and transitions for private equity-backed firms across North America. Our professionals are dynamic, operations-oriented financial executives who are accustomed to the issues, ambiguity, and interpersonal dynamics of businesses going through transitions and transactions. Culturally, the division is an entrepreneurial, service-oriented, and team-centric, meritocracy. We are looking for “A” players to round out our team.
CBIZ CMF is fortunate to have additional scale and competencies through our parent company CBIZ (NYSE: CBZ) and their over 100 offices and nearly 5,000 employees in major metropolitan areas and suburban cities in the U.S. In partnership with our parent company, additionally, we are able to offer a comprehensive set of services including: Tax, Audit, Valuation, Risk & Advisory, Corporate Recovery, Benefits, Property & Casualty and other insurance related services.
CBIZ has been honored to be the recipient of several national recognitions: 2018 Best Workplaces in Consulting & Professional Services by Great Place to Work® and FORTUNE, 2018 Workplace Excellence Seal of Approval by the Alliance for Workplace Excellence, and one of the Top 101 highest scoring companies in the country for Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation by the National Association for Business Resources.
About the Role
The Principal will be a full-time permanent consultant helping to grow our Strategic FP&A practice. The Principal will support our clients, private equity backed portfolio companies, by implementing strategic FP&A initiatives. The Principal will facilitate proactive decision making through forecasting models and drive value with data and analytics during times of transaction and transition. We are seeking an individual with a strong background in data and analytics and a solid foundation in finance and accounting.
Essential Functions and Primary Duties
- Provide complex financial planning and analysis to support clients; manage teams and multiple engagements simultaneously.
- Solution and effectively implement advanced reporting/financial model/forecasting tools and transition to client’s internal team.
- Understand, model and forecast client performance drivers to support budgeting and strategic planning.
- Analyze, report on, and draw conclusions from data to provide client management with actionable business information.
- Work with clients to develop and improve financial and operational KPI monitoring.
- Work in Excel, database and reporting tools to effectively collect and analyze data for client deliverables.
- Utilize strong understanding of operational accounting and finance to provide valuable insight to clients.
- Contribution to internal practice development in the form of recruiting, marketing, business development, thought leadership and strategy.
- 5-10 years of experience in either (preferably both):
- Consulting/Advisory (preferably Big 4 or Big 3) with a focus on finance effectiveness, strategy and operations, analytics, performance improvement or technology
- Large company (preferably Fortune 500) Corporate FP&A or Sales/Ops Finance Analyst roles, rotational programs (with FP&A component)
- CPA, CMA, CFA or equivalent certification
- Competence using SQL to extract and analyze data
- Management responsibilities in a professional services environment
- Exposure working in or working with clients in multiple industries (e.g. manufacturing, distribution, healthcare, software/technology, retail, transportation, industrial, business services, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree required; Finance or Accounting concentration preferred but other degrees that might be successful include Economics, Math, Engineering, Supply Chain or Technology Related
- Strong working knowledge of finance/accounting concepts (e.g. deep understanding of financial statement mechanics, intermediate working knowledge of debits/credits accounting)
- Demonstrated ability to apply these finance/accounting concepts using general business acumen to help support analyses and decision making (e.g. financial statement analysis, variance analysis, financial ratio application, financial budgeting/forecasting, financial and operational reporting/analysis)
- Extremely strong Excel skills – comfort with advanced functions (nested logic, SUMIFS, text function, INDEX, MATCH, OFFSET, INDIRECT, array functions, etc.) is required; additionally, should be able to talk to experience building financial/analytical models from scratch using Excel.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or other Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field preferred
- 6 years of experience in either Advisory or industry FP&A roles, with a minimum of 2 years in Consulting/Advisory
- 2 years of supervisory experience
- Ability to manage all aspects of client engagements
- Demonstrated ability to communicate verbally and in writing throughout all levels of organization, both internally and externally
- Strong aptitude for technology (e.g. proven proficiency across multiple ERPs)
- Must be able to travel based on client and business needs