The Raleigh, NC office is seeking a Structural Engineer to join their Growing Structures group. This is an exciting opportunity to work within a dynamic team, across diverse disciplines, giving you exposure to a wide variety of projects in size and scope. VHB has consistently been rated as one of the top Engineering Firms to work for up and down the East coast, was awarded “Employer of the Year” by WTS in 2018, and has a 100% CEO approval rating on Glassdoor.
VHB’s passionate group of professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments. Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
In this position, you would be responsible for the structural analysis, design, and detailing of bridge and other transportation-related structural projects and will assist the project manager with multidisciplinary projects. The ideal candidate should possess a “can-do” attitude, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and an ability to work independently as well as with a team in a dynamic, fast-paced, and innovative consulting firm. The position includes opportunities for personal and professional development and growth in one of VHB’s fastest-growing offices.
- Perform engineering design of highway, pedestrian, and railroad bridges and other structures
- Preparation of plans, specifications, cost estimates, reports, and final bid packages
- Staff mentoring/development/task management
- Calculate quantities and develop construction cost estimates
- Assist in the field with bridge inspections (desirable) and load ratings
Skills & Abilities
- Must possess strong technical skills
- Familiar with NCDOT design standards, specifications, and policies
- Use engineering design and CAD software in the preparation of plan documents
- Excellent attention to detail, strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Team-oriented with a strong capability to work independently
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering
- Licensed PE or ability to obtain PE in NC within 6 months required
- Minimum of 4 years of engineering experience and possess a broad understanding and strong technical skills in bridge design
- Knowledge of structural engineering software (LARSA 4D, Conspan, MerlinDASH, Mathcad)
- Experience with LRFD Concrete and Steel design
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Familiarity with NCDOT engineering guidelines and standards
- Experience working with Microstation v8i, AutoCAD Civil 3D is a strong plus
- NBIS Certified Bridge Inspector is a strong plus
- We regret, that at this time we are unable to provide sponsorship for employment visas
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 40 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.