Mission: This position is created to work on both Little Tikes and Boys/Games Brands. We are seeking a creative packaging individual who is involved in the package design process (not just production process) and proficient in Artios CAD and 3D modeling (i.e. Solidworks). Responsibilities include Design and development of a variety of structural packaging to achieve CSP (Cost, Schedule & Performance) per MGA standards, branding objectives and project plan. We need a confident individual able to drive the packaging process with project management and creative skills.
Key Result Areas
Design innovative packaging structures against brand objectives and strategic plan/timeline.
Create mock-up samples of structures, maintain up-to-date timelines, and stay current on all packaging documentation.
Maintain packaging costing and recommend reductions.
Determine packout method and ensure that all packaging is “Easy Open”
TOTAL TIME UTILIZATION
BA/BS or 2 years Technical College in a related field plus 7-10 years’ experience in mid to large size company or related experience. 1-3 years of Packaging or Industrial Design experience preferred.
TOY INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE A MUST!
- Ability to design and document complex retail packaging systems made from paperboards, corrugates and plastics.
- Knowledge of a variety of packaging materials including paperboards, corrugate, plastics.
- Knowledge of packaging assembly process include manual assembly, blister pack heat, RF and other methods of sealing/tamper proofing retail packages.
- Complete knowledge of costs associated with different materials used in package design.
- Ability to create complex package component drawings using Artios CAD.
- Ability to 3d drawings using Solidworks (preferred, but not required).
- Good working knowledge of vacuum form tools and forming equipment.
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Proactive thinker and problem solver
- Able to deal with changing priorities
- Good follow through skills
- highly creative team working on a variety of packages and brands for an extensive line of playful and engaging products.
- team centric individual that will work and collaborate with internal Packaging Design Staff, Marketing, Product Design, Project Managers and our counterparts Overseas
- Create innovative structures to ensure competitive advantage
- Design 3D structures that compliment and protect complex products
- Packaging Engineer, this individual will design and develop innovative structural packaging solutions to support worldwide product launches through a good knowledge of technology and materials.
- Originate a package concept for cost estimate and provide different packaging solutions and cost savings
- Work on various projects concurrently and adhere to packaging and business schedules
- Work cohesively and collaboratively in a team environment; to create standard engineering drawings and to have direct experience working with paper materials plus multiple plastics.
- Ability to ideate and express ideas visually and verbally to the cross functional teams.
- Present ideas, problems and solutions to management and peers.
- Act as liaison and creative engineering partner with our China team.
- Participate in various team/department/management meetings.
- Support several toy fair requirements throughout the year.
- Highly creative individual with ability to develop innovative package solutions.
- Knowledge of package manufacturing processes and capable of generating detailed packaging specs.
- Must have experience re-thinking package designs with new, innovative visions.
- Experience working in a team environment, under tight deadlines, building strong relationships.
- Proficiency in Artios CAD and 3-D modeling.
- Create innovative structures to ensure competitive advantage.
- Design 3D structures that complement and protect complex products.
- Able to work on various projects concurrently.
- Adherence to packaging/business schedules.
- In general, the ability to clearly communicate to any number of people.
- Ability to create Mattel standard engineering drawings.
- Strong organizational skills and proven ability to take initiative.
Key Result Areas and Activities
- Fulfill all aspects of structural packaging development from inception to production, partnering with teams and approval process. On-going trend research for design and packaging expected – share findings with teams.
- Communicate and liaise with internal creative resources, marketing and retail teams as well as cross line of business teams
- Full cycle experience and knowledge of complete packaging process. High familiarity with all materials and their respective processes and costing
- Partner with Design heads to implement new centralized methods for the dept., creating accountability to costing within the structural team.
- Develop packaging structures using a variety of materials including paperboard, corrugated material, and vacuum form plastics, blister pack.
- Evaluate structural package designs for cost effectiveness, considering material options, and manufacturability
- Sustain current package designs for improvements in quality and cost.
- Manage documentation of new package designs to ensure high-level accuracy in what is communicated.
- Perform preliminary package feasibilities to determine proper package size, package style and affordability.
- Maintain organized yearly job history and branding guidelines per assigned category
- General knowledge of graphic printing, associated equipment and materials (inks, coatings, etc.)
- Update diecuts from the Graphic Designer in a timely matter.
- Fill out Structural Packaging Checklist for all items.
- Accountable for Cost, Schedule and Performance of the designs
- Creative/innovative thinking towards solutions in designing a variety of retail packages for best possible shelf appeal.
- Able to clearly communicate and present vision/ideas
- Team player
- Works under direct supervision
- Field, research and resolve non-complex issues
- Create package samples for a variety of uses:
- Marketing: Evaluation and approval of size and style. Address “perceived value”.
- Graphic Design: Package comps.
- Production: Physical sample for reference.
- Generate accurate and produce able die-lines for graphic development.
- Document all packaging:
- Engineering Drawings: Stand alone drawing giving all specifications required to produce a packaging component. Each drawing is uniquely numbered.
- Packaging Development Brief (PDB): List of all components required in a package, including any special embellishments, pop-ups, handle, etc.
- Email Alert: Sent to all relevant parties to alert them to newly released or revised Engineering Drawings and PDB are uploaded to Sharepoint.
- Evaluate production samples to ensure material quality and product placements are as specified.
- Seek opportunities to cost-reduce existing packaging for “carry-over” products while maintaining “perceived value”.
- Design packaging to be “Easy Opening”.
- Advise HK how to secure product in package for costing and easy open.
- Make rough blisters using our vacuum forming machine.
- Ensure packaging structure reflects MGA quality and branding objectives
- Complete various jobs associated with showroom setup.
- Performs other duties as assigned