Student & Special Education Associate Attorney
Robbins Schwartz seeks an attorney with 3-5 years of applicable experience to join our Student & Special Education practice group as an Associate. At Robbins Schwartz, our attorneys provide practical and cost-effective representation to school districts and other learning institutions.
Qualified candidates will have relevant experience providing practical guidance to IEP teams, counseling clients concerning special education problems such as due process rights, identification, evaluation, placement and discipline, and responding to complaints from the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) and the Office of Civil Rights (OCR).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Perform a variety of difficult and complex legal work and operate with substantial discretion and minimal direction or supervision
· Research and analyze the law on complex issues
· Synthesize legal research and analysis into a coherent written memorandum or brief for submission to a client, court or arbitrator
· Analyze and summarize complicated legal documents, including contracts, and suggesting alterations to those documents
· Perform discovery of various electronically stored data and hard copies of information in preparation for litigation
· Negotiate with outside parties on contractual issues and legal disputes, including settlement conferences
· Anticipate and mitigate potential legal problems within the law firm or for a client, and develop strategies to avoid costly litigation and reduce potential areas of risk
· Perform due diligence in legal matters concerning contracts and agreements
· Develop ethical solutions to legal matters with a commitment to abiding by local, state, and federal laws and behaving ethically
· Build relationships with clients based on trust
· Juris Doctor degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school
· Admission to the Illinois state bar