Submarine Programs Manager
Position Summary: Reports to the VP of Operations. Responsible for the results achieved by in terms of quality, safety, costs, schedules and performance for all Submarine Projects. Manages the contractual and financial aspects of all submarine projects enabling the Project Managers to focus on day to day production. Strong background in Submarine Modernization, Maintenance & Repair. Familiar with financial and technical aspects of managing a program including personnel management, safety and profit/loss. Working knowledge with specialized experience in performing SUBSAFE/Level I Material work and Submarine testing and certification/re-certification procedures. Ability to clearly communicate and coordinate efforts involving all the activities supporting the submarine program department including Quality Assurance, SUBSAFE, Contracts, Purchasing, and Resources internally and with the customer, SUBSAFE Sponsor, SUBSAFE Supervising Authority and NAVSEA 07Q serving as the primary customer POC for all submarine related product lines.
Duties & Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
Supervisory Requirements: The position manages Project Managers and Foremen assigned to Submarine Program Projects.
- Acts as primary customer contact for program activities, leading program review sessions with customer to discuss cost, schedule, and technical performance.
- Develops new business or expands the product line with the customer.
- Monitors adherence to master plans and schedules, identifies program problems and obtains solutions, such as allocation of resources or changing contractual specifications.
- Must have the ability to work closely with Quality Assurance, SUBSAFE, Contracts, Purchasing and other support departments.
- Ensures timely delivery of accurate contract CDRL submissions including CRs. Works closely with Program Analysts/Financial Analysts in obtaining appropriate data for reports such monthly, status or EVM.
- Reviews or develops reports for outside activities.
- Tracks financial progress and status of projects and develops and coordinates corrective actions/adjustments working with the respective Projects Manager when necessary to ensure completion of the project meeting all quality, technical and schedule requirement and profitability goals.
- Reviews all Condition Reports for submittal to the customer as required. Makes decisions and takes actions that may include determining the priority of projects, personnel requirements and control of costs.
- Responsible for the submission of all requests to Epsilon contracts such as funding, performance dates, limitation of funds or notification of required changes to SOW.
- Manage Submarine Program in the following:
- Manages Project Managers assigned to Submarine Program work
- Oversees the program for all projects through final certification of work and closeout
- Review and Submit all Submarine Cost Proposals/Quotes/ROMs/Estimates
- Review all Submarine Condition Reports, transfers data to appropriate contract format, submits to technical POC and contracts and track
- Ensures submittal of all CDRLs and Reports
- Ensures 75% Letters are submitted IAW requirements
- Develops and submits baseline project resource requirements
- Develops Technical and Cost proposals as required for RFQs/RFPs
- Participates in all financial meetings
- Works with assigned Project Mangers to plan, estimates, negotiate, staff, direct the work, and reconcile final billings on assigned projects. As the top decision maker on the program, resolves any internal issues that arise over the productive, safe management of the projects. Leads the post-project review to capture learnings applicable to future projects.
- Meets or exceeds customers’ realistic expectations for quality, productivity and safety on projects, and manages the customer relationship through any changes in the scope and price of the project to assure continuing customer satisfaction and profitable project closure. Resolves issues with customers, LMA, Base/Facility, NAVSEA agencies, and other interested parties.
- Represents the company fairly and consistently when interacting with customers.
- Works closely with the Estimating Department to develop estimates for Submarine work.
- Interprets specifications, works with assigned Project Managers to plan project sequencing and coordination of the various phases of projects to prevent delays and avoid rework. Ensures that condition found reports (CFRs) are properly written, and approves them before submittal to the customer.
- Writes timely and accurate documentation of each job and contributes accordingly to final written specifications. Confers with assigned management and peer team to resolve problems and to improve methods.
- Plans, coordinates and directs production activities for management of assigned projects. Through subordinate Project Managers, assures appropriate daily project staffing. Monitors job progress to ensure that manpower utilization and allocation meets job requirements and bid expectation. Makes appropriate changes as necessary.
- At time of bid package preparation, works closely with PMO estimating team. Evaluates, sets up, and manages subcontracts for support work on awarded projects.
- Oversees and coordinates the operations of the program at all worksite locations.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with NAVSEA 07Q, NSWCPD SUBSAFE Office, SUBSAFE Sponsor, all Submarine Program customers, subcontractors and vendors.
- Assesses and documents overall work performance of direct reports by close of project, providing feedback to same. Investigates violations of work place rules and determines disciplinary action using the consulting services of Human Resources. Ensures performance documentation by Project Managers or Foremen of all assigned project personnel.
- Able to identify changes in work scope to ensure appropriate planning measures are being taken including the customers inputs for reassessing, renegotiating, and amending the scope of work, schedules and budgets.
- Must be able to identify, assess and analyze with the team, any risk and/or issues that may compromise the successful completion of projects, and develop plans/actions that will mitigate risks. Able to provide leadership when schedule / production conflicts may occur for resolution.
- While not anticipated as a regular event, must be able to work nights and or weekends during peak workloads or as required to ensure program success. Must be willing to travel to out-of-state locations for periods of time when program demands necessitate.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in an engineering discipline from an accredited college or university, or P. E. license.
- Ten (10) years' experience in management of engineering projects involving maintenance, repair, testing, product improvement, or alteration of naval ship Hull, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronic, Ordnance equipment and systems.
- Ten (10) years of working experience in engineering projects involved in design, test, maintenance or operation of Hull, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronic, Ordnance equipment Systems and equipment.
- Working knowledge of Naval Sea Systems Command, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Naval Shipyards, and Supervisor of shipbuilding, Conversion and Repair and Type Commanders' organizations.
- Working knowledge of SUBSAFE & Level 1 and NAVSEA approved testing and certification/re-certification requirements. Ability to read complex technical drawings & manuals and interpret requirements to produce Quotes, Bids & ROMs and develop detailed technical proposals. Understanding of contract terms and conditions and requirements.
- Must have the ability to read and interpret financial reports.
- Security Clearance- DoD Secret Security Clearance-Required
Epsilon Systems Solutions, In. and its subsidiaries are proud to be Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employes, Minority/Female,Disabled/Veterans.