POSITION TITLE: Substitute Kitchen Helper
REPORTS TO: Director of Food Services
POSITION SUMMARY: Performs kitchen duties at assigned school building, including working as a team member with one or more employees in the daily preparation of school breakfast and lunch, and preparation of food for special school functions.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Performs kitchen duties, as a team member, consisting of preparation of food and clean up of kitchen and equipment, and operation of cash register, as assigned.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of a variety of foods to meet menu requirements.
- Follows recipes and menus, price schedules and portion controls, sets up food on serving lines and/or steam tables and serves meals or components, in accordance with department standards.
- Follows established instructions for meal pattern requirements as they relate to portion sizes and the requirements for reimbursable meals.
- Stores or disposes of leftovers properly; maintains accurate records of food production, leftovers and meal counts.
- Operates computerized system of accounting for meals, pre-payments and other functions.
- Washes, sanitizes and stores dishes, tableware and kitchen utensils and food serving surfaces; sweeps, mops and disposes of trash.
- Stores food and supplies in accordance with health department regulations; assists in taking inventory.
- Performs assigned kitchen tasks in accordance with standard kitchen practices while following established District policies, safety and sanitation regulations.
Physical/Visual Activities or Demands: Physical/visual activities or demands that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
- Standing, walking, stooping or crouching, talking, hearing.
- Normal attention: with clarity of vision at 20 inches or less as well as 20 feet or more, required.
- Light to moderate physical demand with regular lifting of very light to light (1 to 25 lbs.) items and
occasional lifting of average items (25 to 60 lbs.) by hand or with mechanical assistance.
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions: Environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
Typical inside working conditions, but with exposure to noise sufficient to make it necessary to shout.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Education: Basic knowledge of arithmetic, spelling, English, and grammar. Accuracy in checking, posting, proofreading and counting, requiring a basic skills knowledge. Equivalent to high school diploma.
Experience: Requires a minimum of three months up to and including one year of experience in quantity food preparation and service or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
Skills and Abilities which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
- Apply commonsense understanding to carry out one or two-step instructions. Deal with standardized situations with occasional or no variables in or from these situations encountered on the job.
- Add and subtract two digit numbers. Perform the four basic arithmetic operations.
- Reading, writing, and speaking at a basic level.
Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
Variety of food storage, cooking, preparation and clean-up equipment.
License(s)/Certification(s) Required: None required.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
"Commonly associated" is not intended to mean always or only. There are different experiences that suggest other ways or circumstances where reasonable changes or accommodations are appropriate.
All activities, Demands, Conditions and Requirements are linked to Essential Job Functions unless marked with an asterisk which denotes linkage only to marginal function(s).