Job Title: Registered Nurse
Department/Campus: Assigned Campus
Pay Grade: Teacher/Professional
Implement comprehensive program of health services for campus. Provide health services to students. Promote health education.
- Graduate of an accredited professional nursing education program
- Valid registered nurse license to practice professional nursing in Texas from the State Board of Nurse Examiners
- Certified by Texas Department of Health to conduct vision and hearing screening, CPR Certification
- Knowledge of health appraisal to identify student health defects
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to implement policies and procedures
One year nursing experience, preferably in community health
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide temporary and emergency care for sick and injured students or staff according to district policy and procedures.
- Serve as health advocate for students.
- Notify parents of accident or illness and secure medical care for students in emergency cases (if parents or emergency contact cannot be reached).
- Coordinate management system to administer medications to students at school. Administer medications according to district policy and procedures.
- Participate in development of campus health education curriculum and provide health education to individuals and groups.
- Provide health counseling and instruction to individual students.
- Serve as health liaison between school, physicians, parents, and community.
- Assess student problems and make appropriate referrals working with students, teachers, parents, and medical and health care professionals as needed.
- Participate in assessment and reporting of suspected child abuse.
- Communicate regularly with principal and health services coordinator regarding health services issues.
- Review and evaluate immunization records.
- Enforce procedures to ensure proper program administration according to district policy.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required, including clinic records and accurate, updated health records on all students.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, Texas Department of Health rule, State Board of Education rule, and board policy in health services area.
- Report potential health and safety hazards to principal.
- Comply with all district and campus routines and regulations
- Maintain certification in CPR.
- Model behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
- Collaborate with campus principal, school counselor, teachers, parents, food service, and other staff regarding the health needs of the general population and those students with identified health conditions
- Collaborate with other professionals regarding implementation of health related Individual Education Plan (IEP) items.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Meet with faculty/staff as needed to educate on health related topics.
- Dependable performance requires reliable and dependable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor or other administrator that are consistent with the general requirements and qualifications for the position.
- Direct work of LVNs when needed.
Thermometer, blood pressure cuff, audiometer, otoscope, sphygmomanometer, vision screening equipment, thermo-scan, basic clinic equipment, personal computer, and copier and other office equipment
Physical Demands/Mental Demands/Environmental Factors:
The working conditions described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
Regularly sit, talk or hear; frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; frequent repetitive hand motions; prolonged use of computer; occasionally lift and/or move up to 10-50 pounds; occasionally required to stand, walk reach with hands and arms; vision abilities include close vision; and color vision, regularly work with frequent interruptions, maintain emotional control under stress; the noise level is usually moderate. The employee may spend long hours in intense concentration which requires attention to detail. There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, which may cause significant stress. The employee must also deal with a wide variety of people on various issues.