Urbana School District 116
TITLE: Substitute Teacher
LOCATION:Urbana School District #116
SUPERVISOR: Director of Human Resources, Building Principals, and Assistant Principals
JOB SUMMARY: Under general direction of the Director of Human Resources, Principals, and Assistant Principals, the Substitute Teacher is responsible for helping students learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able, and responsible adults in the absence of the full time classroom teacher.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The successful substitute teacher:
- Implements existing lesson plans in a manner that ensures the integrity of the content and maximizes student engagement and participation.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes, and fulfills supervision and other assigned duties, in the locations and at the times designated.
- Addresses the individual needs, interests, learning styles, and abilities of the students, to the highest extent possible.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Encourages students to set and maintain appropriate standards of classroom and building behavior.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques, consistent with the physical limitations of the location, the provided lesson plans, and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Maintains accurate records of attendance, progress, concerns, and events regarding each substitute assignment and leaves clear notes for the full time classroom teacher.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Remain in classroom setting and monitor students at all times.
- Report all student injuries, accidents, illnesses, and discipline problems to school personnel immediately as appropriate.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and for the classroom, using the school’s PBIS framework, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Collaborates with teacher assistants and volunteers to increase the success for students in the classroom.
- Reports to the school office at least 15 minutes prior to each assignment and signs out upon completion.
- Completes annual trainings as required.
- Maintains professional relationships with students and faculty, follows ethics of the teaching profession, and promotes the welfare of students at all times.
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
Valid Illinois Teaching License (Substitute License or Professional Educator License)
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- $110-125 per day for daily assignments. Increased rates for long-term assignments and retired Urbana teachers.
- Must work a minimum of one day per year to maintain active sub status
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of professional personnel.