Sultan Middle School Science Teacher
Priority for applications received by April 17 , 2020
SEA Contract (Late August 2020)
Sultan Middle School
2020– 2021 School Year
April 1, 2020
The Sultan School District is one of the larger geographical school districts in the Puget Sound area, consisting of approximately 325 square miles. Sultan School District has approximately 2,000 students enrolled K-12. Students are currently served by two elementary schools, a middle school, a high school and an alternative high school; and the Sno-Isle Skills Center, a cooperative vocational technical school.
Located northeast of Seattle (seven miles east of Monroe) or about 20 minutes from the Woodinville area, Sultan is surrounded by a beautiful environmental setting. Our “backyard” is the scenic Skykomish River and Cascade Mountains. Sultan School District includes the community of Sultan, Startup, and Gold Bar. Students from Index attend Sultan High School.
Interested applicants should apply through our web-based application program and upload the required supporting documents at https://sultan.cloud.talentedk12.com/hire/index.aspx Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following documents:
- A letter of application addressing the qualifications and requirements of the position
- A current resume
- Three or more letters of recommendation (including current or former supervisors)
- Three confidential reference forms which will be completed electronically by your references
- Unofficial copy of transcripts
- Copy of Washington State Certificate
- Note: Current district employees need to submit only a letter of application on-line using the internal application process.
- Questions? Contact Cyd Leahy in Human Resources, 360-793-9800, 514 4th Street, Sultan, WA 98294
Sultan Middle Schoolis seeking applicantsfor a long term substitute 6-8 grade science teaching position. We are looking for a teacherwhois devoted to students and committed to acontinuing program of personal and professional growth. The successful candidate will work with a dedicated staff committed to meeting the needs of all students in a team management and shared decision-making environment.
The classroom teacher will create a program and class environment favorable to learning and personal growth of students which facilitates student success in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing district approved curriculum; motivate students to develop skills, attitudes, and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation in life, and establish good relationships and rapport with students, parents, and staff members. The teacher will document student progress, activities, and outcomes; address specific educational needs of students; and provide feedback to students, parents, and administration regarding student progress, expectations, and goals. The teacher will maintain professional competence through in-service education, coursework, and professional growth activities.
The Sultan School District is seeking enthusiastic teacher applicants with Career and Technical Education certification OR the ability to become conditionally certificated. The successful applicant will teach high school CTE classes with that might include: on Welding, Horticulture, Ag-Science, Construction and Woodworking Technology, Green Sustainable Design and Technology, Agricultural Mechanics and Aquaculture to foster student success in the workforce. Opportunity to be FFA Advisor and/or Vocational Director or other related responsibilities with commensurate stipend per the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Current Washington State Career and Technical Education Certificate with endorsements in Ag Ed or the ability and willingness to become conditionally certificated by September 1, 2018.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with potential classes such as Ag-science, Horticulture and Welding or a willingness to take training in specific areas if applicant does not have experience these areas.
- Current First Aid/CPR or ability to obtain within 90 days of employment
These statements are intended to describe the major purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. The Sultan School District’s Strategic Plan supports the Nine Characteristics of High Performing Schools and the instructional framework is the 5 Dimensions of Teaching and Learning.
- Cause deep, reflective, and successful learning environments for students.
- Cause greater interest in students of subject being taught.
- Build academic self-image in students.
- Assure that classroom practices align with district curriculum and show written evidence of preparation as required.
- Align all classroom instruction with current state standards for grade and subject matter.
- Prepare lessons that reflect adaptation for individual student differences (differentiation).
- Present subject matter according to guidelines established by Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, board policies, and administrative regulations.
- Provide various learning approaches for meaningful learning experiences.
- Use effective instructional methods and strategies from scientifically-based research to strengthen core academic subjects and issues. Including AVID strategies the support WICOR.
- Use measurable goals and data driven results for continuous progress to meet proficient levels of achievement on state assessments for all identified groups of students.
- Cooperate with other members of the staff and participate in the continuous improvement process in accordance with district requirements.
- Use preparation/planning time to include participating as a team member (grade level, department, building, etc.) in the continuous improvement process.
- Provide opportunities for students to take ownership of their learning.
- Provide students with opportunities to become technologically competent.
- Provide instruction in the vocabulary and skills necessary to lead to success on district, state and national assessments.
- Develop assessment tools that evaluate students by the same standards to measure student learning.
- Teach students to use reflection and goal setting.
- Support students in the planning and assessment of their learning.
- Establish classroom standards for students to use appropriate learning behavior.
- Create a positive, safe and supportive learning environment.
- Provide cultural awareness and sensitivity opportunities.
- Train students to use self-management skills.
- Provide students with opportunities to work in collaboration with others.
- Connect extended content learning opportunities into life experiences.
- Partnership with parents and families in student learning.
- Remain current in subject area(s).
- Is a reflective practitioner.
- Participate in continuous refinement of the instructional program and the overall learning environment.
- Work in collaboration with other professionals and community partners (PLCs).
- Compile, maintain and file all reports, records and other document required.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on committees as required.
POSITION MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current, successful substitute teaching experience at the elementary or middle school level.
- Skills and knowledge necessary to provide targeted academic interventions for all students in reading and math.
- Evidence of strong classroom management skills.
- Evidence of strong instructional skills and current training in best instructional practices.
- Ability to communicate appropriately with students, parents and staff.
- Training/experience integrating technology into the curriculum.
- Ability to maintain proper attendance by arriving to work on time on a daily basis.
- Ability to plan, implement and evaluate curriculum.
- Ability to assess student learning in a variety of ways.
- Evidence of leadership, positive human relations and organizational skills.
- Experience in working in a PLC, discussing student needs, achievement levels and providing interventions for struggling learners.
- Experience working with diverse groups of students from varying backgrounds
EDUCATION, LICENSE, CERTIFICATION, FORMAL TRAINING:
- Valid Washington State Teacher Certificate with appropriate endorsement for position
- Successful Washington State Patrol and Federal Bureau of Investigation Fingerprint Clearance
- I-9 Employment Eligibility in compliance with the Immigrations Reform and Control Act
CONDITIONS: EMPLOYEES ARE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ALL FUNCTIONS OF THIS POSITION. The preceding lists of positions functions, qualifications and requirements are not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
Immigration Reform and Control Act Requirement:
The recommended applicant, if not a current employee, will be required to complete an INS I-9 form and must provide proof of employment eligibility.
Disclosure Statement and Background Check
Pursuant to Chapter 43.43, Washington Laws of 1990, the recommended applicant will be required to complete a disclosure form indicating whether he/she has been convicted of crimes against persons listed in the law. In addition, a background check, based on fingerprints, will be requested from the Washington State Patrol.
The Sultan School District #311 is an equal opportunity employer. The district complies with all federal rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex or handicap. Inquiries regarding compliance procedures may be directed to the District Title IX Officer and/or Section 504 Coordinator, 514 4th ST, Sultan, WA 98294. Federal/State Criminal History Background Clearance will be required at applicant’s expense (employment status contingent on verification). The Sultan School District requires any employee hired in a position requiring a CDL to undergo a drug test as part of the employment process. Satisfactory completion of such a test is a condition
Applicants are hereby notified that the Sultan School District is a weapon and drug-free work environment.