Summer Camp Program Area Specialist
Addison-Penzak JCC of Silicon Valley
14855 Oka Road
Los Gatos, CA 95032
Position: Camp Program Area Specialist
Department: Camp & Youth
Status: Seasonal, non-benefited, at-will
Supervisor:Camp and Youth Director
Term: May 2020 - August 2020
The Camp Specialists will be responsible for planning and leading camp programs for campers ages 5-14. They will prepare and implement programming for their specific specialty area and will help conceptualize and carry out elective programming for older campers.
Specialists may include: Visual Arts and Cooking, Sports & Swimming, Science & Nature, Outdoor Leadership Skills, Performing Arts
- Be responsible for overall operations of the Program including activity planning, implementation and safety management.
- Develop a supply list for Camp Director approval.
- Maintain a high quality of instruction for both campers and client groups.
- Attend and participate in pre-camp meetings and pre-camp preparation work.
- Assist with the overall Camp Program, including the planning and implementation of camp programs, development of weekly schedules and camper satisfaction.
- Develop activities that are innovative, creative and exciting. Ensure that programs reflect the developmental level of each camper, as well as meeting the goals of Camp Shalom's Mission.
- Arrange and maintain activity area in an orderly manner, inventory and direct clean-up operations of the area on a daily basis.
- Enforce camp rules consistently. (Develop, implement and post rules for your assigned area.)
- Rotate camp responsibilities in conjunction with other Program Specialists under the direction of the Camp Director and Program Director including swim supervision, field trips, all camp activities, and special events.
- Assume all other duties and assignments deemed appropriate by the Camp Director and Assistant Camp Director.
oDevelop and lead activities for campers ages 5-14.
- Be able to communicate with campers and provide instructions.
- Visual ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid.
- Cognitive and communication abilities to plan and conduct the activity to achieve camper ability and development objectives.
- Must be able to commit to a minimum of 9 weeks between June 1st-August 14th
**Ability to work traditional business hours as well as non-traditional hours as business dictates. To include but not limited to weekends and evening**Minimum Qualifications:
- Be 18 years or older.
- High school diploma or GED required; one or more years of college preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in working with children in a supervised environment.
- Organized with good verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess strong leadership skills; experience in supervising and training others preferred.
- Emotionally mature; willing to accept responsibility.
- Exhibit the ability to place the needs of the campers and the camp above their own.
- Team player that can relate positively to all staff, volunteers and campers.
- Be in good health, vitality and physical stamina
Specific Certification Requirements
- Current American Red Cross CPR for Child and Adult
- Current American Red Cross First Aid Certification
- Completion and clearance of background fingerprint assessment via APJCC specific Livescan location.
*Employees at APJCC may have availability to attend in-house Certification courses.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation.
- Ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforces safety regulations, and applies appropriate policies and procedures.
- The physical ability to lead and interact in group activities and perform related skills.
- Ability work both in an outside and inside environment, may involve different temperature extremes.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Also may be required to climb, push, and pull at times.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Ability and willingness to get into the swimming pool to supervise camper swim times.
The working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
APJCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Minority/Female/Veteran/Disability
Disclaimer: This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and, when possible, to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between the APJCC and its employees.Agency Information:
Amenities include fitness center, heated pool, children's pool, lighted tennis courts, full gymnasium, event auditorium and meeting rooms, athletic field, physical therapy clinic, free parking, childcare, acclaimed preschool for ages 18 months-5 years, day camp, recreation program for children with special needs, birthday parties, teen lounge, Center for Jewish Life & Learning, holiday celebrations, Judaica and Hebrew classes, enrichment classes on a variety of topics for all ages, dance and sports programs for children and adults. Event rentals available.