Day Camp Counselor
Looking for a summer job that makes a difference? Join our 2020 camp staff today! Our day camp is a place where energetic and passionate staff come together to provide a safe and positive learning environment for girls ages 6-17. At Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana camps we have a wide variety of opportunities for you. Campers and staff alike spend the summer outdoors, trying new activities, gaining independence, and building long-lasting relationships.
As a Camp Counselor you will be critical to the success of the summer as the primary caregiver and program facilitator for campers. In this role you will supervise and guide campers through progressive learning experiences.
Our summer season runs from early June through early August, including staff training. Our day camp staff work from 8 a.m.- 5 p.m., Monday through Friday with an overnight on Thursday every week.
Camp Staff Benefits:
The nitty-gritties: This is a paid summer camp position. In exchange for your commitment to an exciting and action-packed summer, you will receive free First Aid and CPR certifications and a rocking camp staff shirt!
The real perks & career benefits: At camp you will quickly discover that the more you put into the experience, the more rewarding it will be. During the summer develop your outdoor skills and leadership in a unique environment separate from the pressures of your typical everyday routine. Throughout staff training and every day rigors at camp, you will experience countless opportunities to be challenged and held to higher standard. These experiences and challenges will help build your resume with universal skills and experiences. You will be a valuable member of this camp community, where your voice will be heard and you will receive the support you need to have a fun and successful summer.
Camp Counselor Qualifications:
- Loves to interact with children and has prior experience working with children of various ages
- Enjoys spending time outdoors and has prior experience working in an outdoor setting
- High school graduate or equivalent
- 18 years of age or older by June 7th
- Proof of health physical clearing the candidate for work in a camp setting
- Willingness to live and work in an indoor and outdoor camp setting, which includes working irregular hours with limited or simple equipment, rustic facilities, wildlife and insects; limited technology while at camp, and daily exposure to sun, rain, and other weather conditions
Camp Counselor Responsibilities:
- Provide fun, positive and active leadership to campers
- Help build a supportive environment where campers can grow, make new friends & try new things
- Role model problem-solving, collaboration, and initiative to campers and other staff
- Supervise and participate in all aspects of activities and experience with campers through the use of girl planning and Girl Scout program guidelines
- Provide quality outdoor programs that may include arts and crafts, nature study, theater, traditional and non-traditional sports, water activities, and much, much more
- Oversee campers during group activities, meals, and transitions to and from scheduled events
- Assist in the care of camp equipment and in maintaining a clean camp environment
- Maintain responsibility for the overall well-being of campers throughout their camp experience
- Other duties as assigned
Apply today to join our summer camp team! (Your future self will thank you!)