The Superintendent is arguably the most important role on a building construction project site—this individual’s leadership is often considered the most critical factor in a project’s success. The Superintendent is responsible for overseeing and managing all day-to-day job site activities, including project team performance, site conditions, compliance with our “build smart” approach and safety and quality standards, compliance with scope, and effective management of trade partners. A primary responsibility of this individual is to establish and implement the baseline schedule based on the contracts, while proactively addressing challenges that could impact the progress of work and ensuring that the work performed is consistent with the contracted scope
The Superintendent must be an exceptional communicator, negotiator and arbitrator, and will serve as the client’s direct point of contact on projects. The Superintendent must be a strong leader, communicator and advocate for team collaboration and innovation, and must have the ability to manage, cultivate and mentor team members to promote their professional growth.
If you are an innovative collaborator and proven performer who enjoys working on teams that deliver superior results, you may qualify for a rewarding career at Suffolk, a construction management firm that is sparking an industry revolution and has consistently been named a “best place to work”!
Oversee, manage and document all day-to-day job site activities including OSHA safety compliance. Direct field personnel according to the project plan and Suffolk supervisory principles. Communicate issues, events, performance and progress daily to the Project Manager. Report any problems promptly to the Project Manager to facilitate the most cost-effective solutions. Establish effective working relationships with clients and Suffolk team members.
Request advice and assistance from the General Superintendent on matters pertaining to materials, sequencing, scheduling and personnel.
- Project Start-Up/Turnover Meeting
- Identify pre-mobilization activities in conjunction with the Project Executive, General Superintendent, and the Project Manager.
- Develop start-up schedule with Project Manager and send it to the Project Executive and General Superintendent for review.
- Assist in formulating and implementing construction schedules in the field.
- Establish and implement the Project Baseline Schedule based on the project contracts and subcontractor input, taking into account any elements that might impact the schedule.
- Maintain the schedule and ensure that work performed is consistent with the contract and will meet or exceed client expectations.
- Update Project Schedule monthly.
- Provide progress report with the two-week look ahead of schedule to the Project Manager and the field staff.
- Insure that all subcontractors participate in a safety pre-construction meeting prior to starting work on the project.
- Insure that all subcontractors have a full set of MSD sheets on the project, as well as their site specific safety plan and current insurance certificate or OCIP/CCIP enrollment ID.
- Review the project daily to insure that all activities are being performed in accordance with all OSHA and governing requirements and the project site specific safety plan.
- Review safety reports and injury data to assess safety performance on assigned projects.
- Ensure project(s) are budgeted & staffed appropriately to support safety programs.
- Communicate clear expectations for safety to project teams.
- Perform safety inspections using predictive solutions software IAW SCCI safety program.
- Adhere to all Suffolk Safety program requirements.
- Quality Management
- Insure that all pertinent benchmarks for the project are established and inserted into the baseline schedule.
- Insure that all appropriate individuals become members of the Q-Team.
- Insure that all 1st delivery inspections and Benchmark inspections occur per the baseline schedule so as not to impact the progression of the subsequent work.
- Insure that the inspections are approved, documented and communicated to the project team
- Subcontractor and Site Management throughout the Project
- Manage site pre-construction including pre-construction survey, job site utilization and staging plans.
- Mobilize the field office and maintains the job site to Suffolk standards.
- Organize documentation of the job site for easy access and review.
- Manage subcontractor performance to quality and ethical standards.
- Work with PM to identify and resolve personnel issues and construction process revisions.
- Manage all phases of the construction process including documenting and reporting site activities and progress, manage excavations and assist with Job Site Utilization Plan.
- Meeting Management
- Attend project turnover, mobilization and project coordination meetings.
- Attend/ chair safety pre-construction meetings.
- Attend/chair weekly foreman and safety meetings.
- Attend/chair monthly schedule review meetings.
- Attend closeout meetings.
- Attend owner meetings.
- Attend/chair subcontractor meetings and any others necessary to monitor and manage the project.
- Administrative Management
- Complete and implement construction office checklists including emergency phone lists.
- Complete daily reports and maintains logs of key activities, files and shop drawings.
- Manage the quality and condition of all material deliveries.
- Maintain required safety reporting and all other required files to Suffolk standards.
- Insure that as-built working drawings are maintained as well as the current drawing log and revision log, communicating this to the subcontractors.
- Project Closeout
- Manage subcontractor closeout, transfer of utilities, owner training, work list and punch list.
- Candidate must possess Suffolk’s core values: passion, integrity, hard work, professionalism and caring.
- Self motivated.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Possess a strong sense of urgency.
- Strong communication skills.
- The ability to become part of a team and embraces the team concept.
- Strong time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable discipline and experience relative to project size/scope.
- 4 to 6 years of experience in related construction fields.
- Each project has specific characteristics regarding size, complexity, sector, etc. which dictate the precise years of experience and industry knowledge necessary for success, above and beyond generic construction knowledge and experience.
- Applicable area licenses.
- Candidate must possess Suffolk’s Core Values: Passion, Integrity, Hard Work, Professionalism and Caring.
- Excellent team development skills and leadership abilities.
- Strong ability to partner with the Project Manager and staff.
- Committed to excellence.
- Self-motivated and self-confident.
- Must possess effective communication skills.
- Capable of dealing with ambiguity and tight work oversight.
- Able to constantly multi-task and handle competing priorities between Suffolk business needs and organizational issues while maintaining excellent customer relations.
- Must possess business judgment to negotiate the critical balance between budget and construction processes.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage the many details necessary for successful construction.
- Must have judgment to know when to appropriately escalate issues up the chain of command.
- Excellent management skills to effectively manage subcontractor performance to high quality.
- A strong sense of urgency and initiative, and the ability to quickly study and react to complex issues, and resolve conflict effectively in a firm but fair manner.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to take action confidently and decisively.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, or writing. The employee is frequently required to stands; walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time in an office environment with a quiet to moderate noise level. Job site walking.
Suffolk provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, national origin, citizenship, genetic information, disability, protected veteran, gender identity, age or any other status protected by law. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation, benefits, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Suffolk will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination toward, or harassment of, applicants or employees by anyone at Suffolk, or anyone working on behalf of Suffolk.