POSITION: Supervising Attorney Family Unit – (Full-Time Position)
CLOSING DATE: Position Immediately Available and Closed When Filled
LOCATION: Dallas, Texas
OVERVIEW: Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas (LANWT) seeks a dynamic, self-starting individual with vision, initiative, and a demonstrated commitment to public interest law to help manage its Dallas office. In addition to providing daily representation in general civil and family legal matters, the successful attorney should demonstrate a commitment to identifying and taking advantage of opportunities for strategic advocacy and engaging in community outreach to and in collaboration with low-income persons, including community groups that are made up of income eligible members or that serve the indigent.
DESCRIPTION: LANWT is a non-profit public interest law firm that provides high-quality free civil legal services to low-income persons in 114 counties in North and West Texas. Located in Dallas, the branch office delivers civil legal services in a diverse, dynamic, and challenging city and surrounding suburban areas.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Managing Attorney of the Dallas Office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The principal duties of the Supervising Attorney will be to oversee the office’s litigation and other advocacy, to plan and implement outreach to and collaboration with members of the low-income community and community groups, and to foster supportive relationships with the local bar. The Supervising Attorney will also handle his/her own caseload proportionate to their management and administrative duties. Other responsibilities include:
- Conduct case staffing.
- Review and assign new client applications for appropriate assistance.
- Monitor open cases for activity and review closed cases for proper recordkeeping, file maintenance, grant compliance and overall quality of service provided.
- Conduct regular case reviews of open cases.
- Provide co-counseling assistance, training, mentorship to staff attorneys and promote a positive work environment to all staff.
- Ensure staff comply with grant requirements, including legal work, goals, objectives, timely submission of reports, funding applications, budget preparations, proposed numerical outcomes and outreach.
- Participate in management meetings and projects.
- Establish and maintain relationships with client groups, community groups, social service agencies, and local bar associations.
- Conduct employee performance evaluations and handle corrective action or disciplinary issues with the assistance of the managing attorney.
- Handle client complaints, processes administrative items and issues related to timekeeping, travel, leave, check requests, training requests, payroll, etc.
- Other duties which may from time-to-time be assigned by the Managing Attorney, Deputy Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- Licensed to practice law in Texas.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant legal experiences and a demonstrated, zealous commitment to public interest law, serving the indigent, or other relevant legal experience.
- Strong understanding of Texas family law required.
- Strong understanding of the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure and Texas Rules of Evidence required.
- Demonstrated trial and advocacy skills with progressive litigation experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Prior management or leadership experience is preferred.
- Experience coordinating community services, partners and education.
- The ability to think and plan strategically and to develop and implement projects.
- Willingness to travel throughout the LANWT service area.
- Ability to have a flexible work schedule.
- Possess a strong work ethic and a sense of accountability.
- Excellent attendance record.
SALARY: Based on applicant’s years of relevant experience.
BENEFITS: Excellent benefits package that includes paid vacation and holidays; a retirement plan; health, dental and life insurance.
Please submit a cover letter expressing interest, a resume, and at least three professional references during the application process.
LEGAL AID OF NORTHWEST TEXAS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
VETERANS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY