Oversees and provides leadership to Accounting support staff to ensure accurate, efficient and timely completion of daily functions and account reconciliations. Performs general Accounting functions and financial reporting. Assist management in identifying opportunities to streamline procedures, increase timeliness and improve accuracy. Adapts accounting functions and procedures for changes in operational activities, and provides input to management on staffing assignments that better match employees' skills, experience, and career development goals. Coordinates with other departments as necessary to ensure accounting activities are accurately reflected and properly flow through accounting systems. May be required to lead projects with staff from Accounting or other departments. Embrace and embody Golden 1's mission, vision and core values.
TASKS, DUTIES, FUNCTIONS:
1. Train, direct, schedule, and motivate Accounting Department staff, as assigned.
2. Foster a positive and engaging work environment for every team member by promoting skill development, coaching for improvement and growth, inspiring others through your words and actions, ensuring positive employee morale.
3. Oversee, monitor, review, and approve the following functions:
* Research and resolution of moderately complex issues and outages.
* General ledger reconciliations,
* Data entry and recordkeeping.
* Journal entries.
* Accounting department projects.
* Daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual accounting reports.
* Maintenance of current procedure manual for all staff functions. Update procedures in response to changes in operational activities, corporate policy, or technological upgrades.
* Maintenance of sub-ledgers.
* Process improvements to accounting systems and procedures to mitigate/resolve systemic issues and outages.
* Preparation of audit work papers/computer spreadsheets for outside auditors.
* Compliance with applicable standards, rules, regulations.
4. Coordinates with other departments as necessary to ensure accounting activities are accurately reflected and properly flow through accounting systems.
5. Assist with regulatory examinations, annual independent audits and internal audits, as assigned.
6. Assist VP/Controller in updating corporate policies and processes, as assigned
7. Assists in the preparation and review of the annual budget and other projections as requested by management.
8. Assist with regulatory examinations, annual independent audits, and internal audits as necessary. This includes assisting in the development of the audited financial statements including footnote calculations and narratives. Research and develop new footnotes from accounting literature, as applicable.
9. Prepare timely employee performance evaluations.
10. Maintain a thorough understanding of state and federal laws and regulations related to credit union compliance including bank secrecy and anti-money laundering laws appropriate to the position.
11. Communicates issues timely and via proper escalation channels (i.e. Operational and Member Impact Alerts).
12. Ensure compliance with, and efficacy of, internal controls.
13. Conduct special studies, projects, ad-hoc reporting, reviews, analyses, and all other duties, as assigned.
PHYSICAL SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EXERTION UTILIZED IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THESE TASKS:
1. Effective oral and written communication skills required to manage and evaluate staff, make presentations, prepare recommendations, perform analysis, and accomplish other managerial functions as listed.
2. Must possess sufficient manual dexterity to skillfully operate a personal computer and other standard office equipment, such as a 10-key calculator, copy machine, and telephone.
3. Must work independently with minimal direction and exhibit own initiative.
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTACTS & RELATIONSHIPS:
1. INTERNAL: All levels of staff.
2. EXTERNAL: Members, vendors, suppliers, government agencies, credit union, industry associations, and peers at other financial institutions.
1. EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field required.
2. EXPERIENCE: Three, or more, years of progressively responsible accounting experience in a financial institution or equivalent preferred. Supervisory experience preferred.
a Excellent oral, presentation, and writing communication skills required to interact with members, credit union staff and management, and vendors.
b Strong research, analytical, planning and organizational skills.
c Ability to use logical reasoning when interpreting facts.
d Independent worker with ability to be flexible and work in a team environment.
e Quick learner, responsive, ability to multi-task, and time management skills.
f Ability to meet deadlines; may be required to work extended hours to complete tasks.
g Must possess sufficient manual dexterity to skillfully operate a personal computer and standard office equipment including 10-key calculator, telephone and copier.
h Excellent personal computer skills, including Excel, Word and Outlook.
i Strong knowledge of existing credit union products, services and overall operational guidelines, including commonly used financial industry concepts and practices
j Knowledge of GAAP, financial analysis, budgeting, and credit union accounting policies and practices.
k Strong knowledge of accounting operations and systems within a financial institution.
l Strong interpersonal skills.
1. Lifting up to fifteen pounds without assistance.
2. Prolonged sitting throughout the workday with occasional mobility required.
3. Corrected vision in normal range required to read and review logs, general ledger documents, and perform other related tasks pertaining to this functional area.
4. Hearing in normal range to handle moderate telephone contact. A telephone device to enhance hearing will be provided if needed.
5. Minimal local and statewide travel by car or public conveyance to attend meetings, seminars, conferences, training classes, etc.
6. Long work hours may be required to complete assigned tasks.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled