Job Title: Computer Room Supervisor - WIP
Reports To: Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Approved Date: December 2014
The Computer Room Supervisor is responsible for oversight of the daily operations of the Division Computer Room including supervising of staff to ensure effective running of the department to meet the needs of the Division.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Computer Room Operations
- Scheduling of IBM AS/400 job and report-processing cycles to coincide with the requirements of the division and to meet the requirements of company I.T. practices.
- Define and oversee recurring customer invoicing and credit-processing cycles while ensuring departmental accuracy and efficiency. Review internal credit-processing requests and interpret them in order to properly affect the appropriate accounting and inventory systems.
- Specify and recommend departmental budgeting requirements for all data-processing hardware, EDP-supplies, business-forms, and maintenance-service providers. Initiate and/or coordinate the purchase of the above goods or services.
- Responsible for maintaining department-specific reports and checklists as required by I.T.-department and corporate auditing requirements.
- Responsible for reviewing and initiating AS/400 and PC password-requests and appropriate user-options. Maintenance of confidential user-account records.
- Maintenance and periodic-review of departmental fixed-asset inventory.
Technology and Telecommunications Support
- Provide on-site maintenance and initial troubleshooting for all data processing and communications equipment including IBM AS/400 devices (printers, terminals, and communications equipment), PC systems and peripherals, LAN/WAN routers and switches, RF wireless equipment, and office telephone systems.
- Responsible for the installation and configuration of the above equipment.
- Responsible for the configuration, programming, and administration of the office PBX telephone equipment, fax-machines, music-on-hold, and voice-mail services.
- Maintain and dispense RF and pager-equipment inventories. Conduct periodic review of the above equipment including coordinating the audit of a Telxon™ unit assignment listing with the sales department.
- Maintain and store surplus hardware and accessories for future use in the division.
System Software and Applications Support
- Provide on-site training of all PC and IBM AS/400-based applications.
- Maintain and archive printed and electronic documentation of the above applications including DCMS Release Documentation.
- Maintain and revise the computer-room Technology Manual.
- Responsible for periodic software and virus-definition updates within the division.
- Responsible for periodic data-backup of all PC LAN user files.
- Serve as the initial contact-person for Support Services issues.
- Maintain an archive of Support Services problem logs for the division.
- Completion of scheduled-jobs according to the computer-room checklists.
- Provide workflow oversight of system jobs and timely distribution of resulting reports.
- Provide workflow oversight of system resources including job queues, output queues, and printer-message queues.
- Maintenance of system printers including necessary ribbon and forms-changes.
- Serve as the division liaison with the company I.T. E-commerce and Technical Services divisions.
- Provide miscellaneous image and document-scanning services as required by the division.
- Provide CD-ROM and ZIP media creation services as required by the sales dept.
- Design and maintain various forms and procedures as requested by the division’s departments.
- Provide high levels of customer service to internal as well as external customers.
- Coach and Train others as needed regarding workflow and work product.
1-2 Direct Reports
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum four years related experience in an IBM AS/400 midrange or similar multi-user computing-environment. Must possess extensive knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Windows-based applications including Microsoft Office (97/2000 or greater). Working knowledge of SQL, Windows-networking environments, and telecommunications-systems recommended. Strong organizational and communication skills required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Travel: Rarely to Never
- Work Hours/ Shifts: Typically 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday and on call when necessary
- Equipment Used: Daily use of computer and use of other networking devices.