The Supervisor I is responsible for supervising small and medium sized move and install crews to complete projects for commercial customers. Responsible for performing general manual labor and office furniture installation tasks including loading, unloading, lifting, and moving office furniture and materials. May load and unload trucks from loading dock, using ramps or on lift-gates. Responsible for assuring a quality move for the customer, providing outstanding customer service, and assisting the move process by communicating with the supervisor, the customer and other crew members. Primary job functions requires exercising independent judgment. Typically reports to a project manager or operations manager. The work schedule is part-time, hours will vary. Reliable transportation is required for this position.
- Supervise movers and installers as required to perform a quality job for the customer.
- Teach move and install crew proper handling and safety techniques.
- Insure work is being performed with quality, efficiency and safety at all times.
- Insure customer’s complete satisfaction with work being performed.
- Assists the install and move process by communicating with project managers, the end users/customer and crew members.
- Complete all paperwork accurately and neatly and turns into operations daily, including timesheets, bills of lading, tick sheets, inventories and disposal forms.
- Inventory all major brands of systems furniture as needed.
- Perform minor repairs and cleaning of furniture systems as needed.
- Handle and stage products, and perform detail work and trash-out functions on install projects as needed.
- Read install plans and identify starting locations, staging locations and changes as needed.
- Complete red-line and stick drawings as needed.
- Use extreme care not to damage goods or facilities during the install/move.
- May assist Drivers in properly loading and unloading trucks from loading dock, using ramps or on lift-gates to protect goods being moved and supervises others doing the same.
- May assist in pushing furniture, equipment and cartons on wheels to and from trucks, offices and warehouses.
- May assist in setting, offsetting, pushing, pulling, lifting, carrying and moving furniture, equipment and boxes.
- If qualified as an installer, install systems walls and splines, handle and stage products, perform detail work and trash-out functions on install projects as needed.
- If qualified and approved as a driver, drive trucks up to and including Class A vehicles.
- Reports to the dispatch office or customer job site as directed by supervisor, in appropriate company uniform every day.
- Obtains daily work assignments from dispatch or supervisor and completes work assignment as assigned. Must be able to work overtime as needed.
- All other duties as assigned based on business needs.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1 year of commercial moving or systems furniture related experience or training.
- 6 months of experience supervising, managing and/or training small to medium sized crews.
- Previous commercial and/or household installation experience preferred.
- Familiar with all components of systems furniture nomenclature and be able to identify upon sight, the major lines of the three major manufactures; Steelcase, Herman Miller and Haworth.
- Certified forklift operator.
- Willing to work weekends and overtime as needed is preferred
- Must be able to pass pre-employment screening including background check and drug testing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and re-prioritize as situations and needs change throughout the workday
- Excellent follow-through and attention to detail
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds unassisted and 150 pounds assisted
- Own and bring to work every day, a complete set of installation tools as defined in Corovan installation policy is preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as procedures, work instructions, install plans and timesheets.
- Ability to speak and communicate well with customers and coworkers.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to read and correctly interpret the legend on installation drawings and read both standard and metric tape measures.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Familiar with and able to train other using various moving equipment and its proper usage such as dollies, carts, pads, straps, pallet jacks, forklifts, ramps, lift gates, and all specialty equipment including but not limited to roll-a-lifts, Genie lifts safe jacks, J bars, etc. is preferred
- Familiar with basic systems furniture nomenclature and be able to identify upon sight, the major lines of the three major manufactures; Steelcase, Herman Miller and Haworth is preferred.
- Must be able to produce detailed inventories of all goods exposed to on O&I and install projects.
- Must be able to accurately estimate small move and install projects to determine manpower, trucks and equipment necessary to complete the tasks required.
- Must be qualified to do light rigging of heavy and bulky machines up to 5000 lbs
- Familiar with the Corovan Order Entry System and be able to perform planning & dispatch functions if necessary is preferred.
- Must be able to conduct a customer pre-move meeting, post destination signage and communicate all standard move and install protocol to the customers.
- Familiar with laboratory moving including packing of lab equipment, fine tune and detail work, PC disconnect and reconnect and must possess good customer service skills is preferred.
- Familiar with the O&I (Office & Industrial) move process and understand the move labeling and directional signage is preferred.
Pay & Benefits
- Competitive hourly wage based on experience
- Flexible work schedule
- Retirement savings plan with company match
- Paid Sick Leave
- Employee Referral Bonus & Contest Reward Program
- Safety Reward Program
- Corovan University continuous learning and career development training.
- Health insurance, Dental insurance, Vision insurance and Voluntary Supplemental Insurance eligibility is evaluated regularly. Eligibility is based on hours worked. Employee must maintain a consistent average work schedule of 30+ hours per week.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed throughout the day. May require walking primarily on a level surface, but may include walking on uneven or inclined surfaces for lengthy periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the work day. Proper lifting techniques required. May include lifting up to 75 pounds and pushing or pulling up to 150 pounds throughout the day. May include bending, reaching, squatting, twisting, stooping, and kneeling throughout the day. May also include climbing or descending stairs while carrying goods up to 50 pounds. May include working at height on a loading dock, or on a lift-gate.