This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the mission of Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center. It is expected that the employee demonstrate behavior consistent with our core values: Accountability, Best Practices, Compassion Synergy and Integrity. The employee shall support Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center's strategic plan and participate in and advocate performance improvement/patient safety activities.
Under the general supervision of the Director, this position is responsible for the overall and is accountable to support the capital budgets, supply/equipment purchases, supply/equipment evaluation and contract/purchasing agreements. This position requires collaboration and effective communication with the Director, Data Systems Coordinator, managers and service coordinators within perioperative services to ensure an efficient and cost effective OR, instrument, and equipment process is maintained. Other responsibilities include the participation in the interviewing/hiring, orientation, ongoing education and evaluation of the SPD (Sterile Processing Department) staff members and provision of leadership to provide unit operations/supplies/equipment for the assigned service.
The Sterile Processing Supervisor oversees the activity of SPD Technicians in the following essential functions: maintaining, cleaning, packaging, processing storing clean and sterile instrumentation. In the maintenance and operation of equipment used in processing surgical instrumentation. The Sterile Processing Supervisor orders and stocks supplies from Materials vendors and, updates and educates staff on SPD policy and procedures. The SPD supervisor is responsible for maintaining the sterilization logs and reporting to infection control and environmental care. The Sterile Processing Supervisor functions in the SPD Technician role only as needed. The SPD supervisor reports to the Director of perioperative Services.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the Job
1. Demonstrates leadership and serves as a link between surgical suite and Sterile Processing management, equipment and supply vendors.
2. Prioritizes essential functions to focus on the supply and equipment needs of the Peri-operative patient.
3. Demonstrates knowledge of the clinical information system and applies principles to patient equipment and supply needs.
4. Contributes to an effective and safe working environment.
5. Serves as a role model and mentors new staff members.
6. Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of patient privacy rights. Maintains confidentiality of all medical, financial and other sensitive material in printed, electronic or verbal from, which may jeopardize the privacy of patients and or employees.
7. Demonstrates the ability to use good customer service skills
8. Demonstrates tact, sensitivity and discretion in dealing with physicians, staff and vendors.
9. Demonstrates the ability to train and influence other in a collaborative manner, attention to detail and follow through on all assignments.
10. Demonstrates the ability to integrate knowledge of job specific competencies.
11. Demonstrates the ability to safely and competently perform and assign duties
12. Prioritizes workload.
13. Demonstrates the ability to counsel and direct staff
14. Demonstrates clinical leadership through positive role modeling, reliable leadership, clinical expertise and credible decision making
15. Oversees the practices of the Sterile Processing Department to ensure compliance with OCMMC and MHS policies and procedures as related to instrument processing
16. Ability to reduce turnover by leading and engaging staff
17. Ability to be at work and be on time
18. Ability to follow company policies, procedures and directives
19. Ability to interact in a positive and constructive manner
20. Ability to prioritize and multitask
Essential Job Outcomes
1. Individual and unit preparation for magnet
2. Meets population specific competencies
3. Provides technical expertise to the SPD departments: Safely and completely cleans, packages, and labels and sterilizers instruments for cases.
4. Maintains cost effective inventories and requests and stores supplies according to par level
5. Instructs staff to safely and completely use equipment in the performance of assignment
6. Complies data and completes monthly and quarterly reports due to infection control
7. 'Other duties as assigned' Experience
- Minimum of (5) years' experience as (Sterile Processing Technician or Surgical Technologist)
- Previous supervisory experience preferred
- Highly effective communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Computer skills-word, excel, outlook preferred
- High School diploma or equivalency
- Previous computerized purchasing system experience preferred
- Specialty Certification required, CRCST