Provides clinical leadership, compassionate, and family centered care for urgent and emergent patients. Utilizes effective problem solving strategies, applies evidence based practice, and a multidisciplinary approach in the plan of care. Provides rapid assessment, treatment, patient and family education, and assures continuity of care through the discharge planning process.
Minimum Job Requirements
- RN - Registered Nurse RN Licensure within the State of Florida or Multi-State Enhanced Nursing License Compact (eNLC) – maintain active and in good standing throughout employment
- CPR BLS -American Heart Association BLS maintain active and in good standing throughout employment
- CPI - Crisis Prevention Institute maintain active and in good standing throughout employment Required within 3 months of hire (current staff must obtain by 12/31/18)
- PALS - American Heart Association PALS maintain active and in good standing throughout employment Required within 1 year of hire
- ACLS - American Heart Association ACLS maintain active and in good standing throughout employment Required within 1 year of hire
- 2-4 years Registered Nurse experience
- Experience as a Charge Nurse
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and monitors patient flow, supports patient throughput utilizing appropriate resources from admission, transfer, or discharge & facilitates the processes in a timely manner.
- Identifies clinical strengths and opportunities, re-assigns patient assignments to support clinical competency, and coaches/mentors employees to improve performance and clinical outcomes.
- Flexes the employees to align with census fluctuations and collaborates with the Nursing Leaders to meet staffing needs.
- Promotes/practices cost containment and maintaining fiscal performance by ensuring appropriate supplies and par levels are maintained.
- Supports departmental goals and the Health System strategic plan. Actively participates in the nursing governance council and unit based committee.
- Conducts department huddles, communicates Health System and department updates, and Press Ganey Patient Perception Survey data.
- Fosters staff empowerment and open communication, leads and guides staff to build a high performance, and engaged team.
- Works collaboratively with all levels of the urgent care interdisciplinary team and promotes the team concept within the department & Health System wide.
- Interacts with patients and families to review physician plan of care and solicits input and communicate any patient and family concerns to physician.
- Ensures the provision of education about disease processes, treatment, and documents patient/family teachings on health related needs in the electronic health record.
- Administers direct patient care and assuming an assignment during clinical hours.
- Oversees and assists staff in the delivery of patient care through the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation.
- Responsible for patient care coordination to include accountability for patient throughput and outcomes.
- Identifies opportunities to improve processes and assists with projects to enhance workflow utilizing Lean methodologies and tools.
- Assists and supports the RNs and team with code blue and emergency response efforts.
- Communicates the patient's progress including critical findings and changes in the patients' condition.
- Actively participates in the performance review process through chart reviews and validating timeliness of charting. Ensures all requirements are met.
- Ensuring all staff on the assigned shift is adhering to the regulatory requirements of DNV, CMS, DOH, and other accrediting agencies.
- Ensuring all staff is adhering to department and Health System policies and procedures.
- Promotes an "error free" working environment by consistently providing high-quality, safe care as per policies, conducts prevention rounding, & follows up on identified concerns promptly.
- Conducts, ensures, and audits the accuracy of charge capture at department.
- Completes chart charge corrections and instructs nursing team continually on steps to avoid errors in charges.
- Continually enforces the use of SOARS checklists to hard-wire standard operation procedures to ensure safety and quality.
- Provides continuous supervision, observation of behavioral health patients, and adheres to non-violent crisis intervention strategies (CPI).
- BSN degree or currently enrolled in BSN program.
- Career Development: National certification within 5 years of hire preferred.
- Pediatric Nursing in an acute care setting preferred.
- Work experience with Microsoft Office Applications including Excel and Word.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to positively influence and hold self and others accountable.
- Ability to collaborate in a multidisciplinary team.
- Able to lead a team to achieve business results.