Supervisory Hydrologist (MP-PERM-MB)
Department of the Interior
- ##### Open & closing dates
10/07/2019 to 11/19/2019
- ##### Service
- ##### Pay scale & grade
- ##### Salary
$94,417 to $122,740 per year
- ##### Appointment type
- ##### Work schedule
FEW vacancies in the following location:
Relocation expenses reimbursed
Yes Relocation has been authorized for this position.
Yes as determined by agency policy
What General Information Do I Need To Know About ThisPosition?
This position is being advertised concurrently with the followingannouncements: DEN-2020-0009
Learn more about this agency
As a Supervisory Hydrologist within the Caribbean-Florida WaterScience Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Responsible for administration, personnel management, and thescientific and technical direction of the section.
- Plans and directs operation of hydrologic dat collectionnetworks.
- Establishes and oversees the Data Section quality-controlprocedures for data collection, storage, publication, andanalysis.
- Plans program and operations in the Science Center, andinitiates and assigns projects in the section to fit theplanning of the Management Team.
- Operates a motor vehicle as an incidental driver.
Physical Demands: Work is primarily sedentary. Field workrequires some physical exertion such as; long periods of standing,walking over rough, uneven, rocky surfaces; recurring bending,crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; orrecurring lifting of moderately heavy items weighing under 45lbssuch as lifting and carrying stream gauging weights, data collectionand monitoring devices, or sample trays.
Work Environment: Work is primarily performed in a typicaloffice setting, Occasional filed work is required, The workregularly involves moderate risk or discomfort associated withvisiting filed sites with limited access, under adverse weather orflooding conditions, or exposure to irritants or toxic chemicals.Work may require the use of special clothing or gear such as mask,coats, boots, goggles, respirators, or life jackets.
25% or less - Occasional travel of up to 5 night per month may berequired.
- #### Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by backgroundinvestigation.
- Selectee may be subject to serving a one-year probationaryperiod.
- More requirements are listed under Qualifications and OtherInformation.
- Selectee must provide a valid state driver's license & safedriving record.
- Selectee subject to successful completion of a pre-employmentmedical exam.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- Because this position requires travel for official business, theselectee will be required to apply for a charge card within 30calendar days of appointment. Individuals who have delinquentaccount balances from a previous Government charge card will berequired to satisfy their existing obligation before anew card can be issued.
- A background investigation will be required for this position.Continued employment will be subject to the applicant'ssuccessful completion of a background security investigation andfavorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet theserequirements will be grounds for termination.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will becommunicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperativethat the email address you provide when applying for thisvacancy remains active. Should your email address change, pleasenotify the point of contact identified in the vacancyannouncement as soon as possible so that we can update oursystem.
- If you are a Federal employee applying for a promotion (undermerit promotion procedures) you must meet time-in-graderequirements by the closing date of the announcement.
- For information on basic qualifications, which includesinformation on whether you may substitute education forspecialized experience, please click on the following:https://www.usgs.gov/about/organization/science-support/human-capital/hydrologist-gs-1315.
- In addition to the basic education requirements, you must have1-year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lowergrade level in the Federal service.
- BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Applicants must meet Aor B below to satisfy the basic education requirement forHydrologist, all grade levels.
A. Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in anaccredited college or university leading to a bachelor's orhigher degree in physical or natural science, or engineeringthat included at least 30 semester hours or the equivalent inany combination of courses in hydrology, the physical sciences,geophysics, chemistry, engineering science, soils, mathematics,aquatic biology, atmospheric science, meteorology, geology,oceanography, or the management or conservation of waterresources. The course work must have included at least 6semester hours or the equivalent in calculus (including bothdifferential and integral calculus), and at least 6 semesterhours or the equivalent in physics.**ORB. A combination of education and experience-course work asshown in "A" above (30 semester hours or the equivalent in anycombination of courses as specified in "A" above which mustinclude at least 6 semester hours or the equivalent in calculus(including both differential and integral calculus), and atleast 6 semester hours or the equivalent in physics), plusappropriate experience and/or additional education for a totalof 4 years. The education or combined education and experiencemust be comparable in type, scope and thoroughness to thatacquired through successful completion of a 4-year course ofstudy as described in "A" above.
- For GS-13:
In addition to the basic education requirement as stated above,applicants must have one year of appropriate professionalexperience in hydrology that is equivalent to at least the GS-12level in the Federal service.
Examples of such experience include planning, executing andreporting on original hydrologic studies or ongoing hydrologicstudies requiring a fresh approach to resolve new problems. Thecomplexity of this work typically required extensivemodification and adaptation of standard procedures, methods, andtechniques, and the development of totally new methods andtechniques to address novel or obscure problems for whichguidelines or precedents were not substantially applicable. Atthis level, Hydrologists have extensive knowledge of theprinciples of hydrology and highly developed ability in theirapplication, and wide latitude for the exercise of independentjudgment to perform scientific work of marked difficulty andresponsibility
- You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements forthe position by the closing date of the announcement.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, includingvolunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g.Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g.,professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community;student; social). Volunteer work helps build criticalcompetencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuabletraining and experience that translates directly to paidemployment. You will receive credit for all qualifyingexperience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside theUnited States may be used to meet the above requirements. Youmust provide acceptable documentation that the foreign educationis comparable to that received in an accredited educationalinstitution in the United States. For more information on howforeign education is evaluated, visit:https://www.usgs.gov/about/organization/science-support/human-capital/how-foreign-education-evaluated-federal-jobs.
- Applicants who include vulgar, offensive, or inappropriatelanguage or information in their application package will beineligible for further consideration for this position.
- Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens andnationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) maycompete for civil service jobs. Agencies are permitted to hirenon-citizens only in very limited circumstances where there areno qualified citizens available for the position.
- USGS employees are subject to Title 43, USC Section 31(a) andmay not: (a) have any personal, private, direct or indirectinterest in lands or mineral wealth of lands under survey; (b)have any substantial personal, private, direct or indirectinterests in any private mining or mineral enterprise doingbusiness with the United States; or (c) execute surveys orexaminations for private parties or corporations.
- The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act(P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determinequalifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5,USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
- DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of allnewly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, includingyour rights and responsibilities, pleasevisit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet thequalifications above.
--Vacancy Related Questions: As part of the online applicationprocess, you will need to respond to a series of questions designedto assess your possession of the following knowledge skills,abilities and/or competencies:
- Interpersonal Communication
- Leadership & Supervision
- Program/Project Management
- Compute/Analyze Data
- Scientific Knowledge
- Written Communication
--Basis of rating: You will be rated on the extent andquality of your experience, education, and training relevant tothe duties of the position. If you are eligible, you willreceive a numerical rating based on your on-line responses tothe application questions. These responses must be substantiatedby your resume. If you do not respond to the applicationquestions you may be rated ineligible.
--NOTE: If it is determined that you have rated yourselfhigher than is supported in your description of experienceand/or education as described in your resume/application, orthat your resume or application is incomplete, you may be ratedineligible, not qualified, or your score may be lowered.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
--If this position requires specific educational course work toqualify, or you are qualifying based in whole or part on education,you are required to provide all unofficial transcripts(undergraduate, graduate, etc.) or list of course work, whichincludes semester hours earned and grade received, by the closingdate of this announcement or you will be disqualified from furtherconsideration. This proof may be faxed, document uploaded, or handdelivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "RequiredDocuments" and/or "Contact Information"). Please ensure that alldocumentation is legible.
--If you are a current career or career-conditional Federalemployee or former Federal employee who has reinstatementeligibility, you must submit a copy of a recent SF-50 "Notificationof Personnel Action" documenting proof of competitive status,tenure, position title, occupational series, grade level and stepby the closing date of this announcement or you will not receiveconsideration.
--If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, the Servicing HumanResources Office must receive proof by the closing date of thisannouncement that you meet the requirements of 5 CFR 330 Subpart Ffor CTAP and 5 CFR 330 Subpart G for ICTAP or you will not receivepriority consideration. This includes a copy of the agency notice,your most recent Performance Rating, and your most recent SF-50noting current position, grade level, and duty location. Requireddocuments may be faxed, uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicingHuman Resources Office (see "Contact Information"). If you are aCTAP or ICTAP eligible, you will be considered well qualified if youearn a minimum score of 85 (prior to the assignment of veteran'spreference points). For more information on CTAP/ICTAP please clickhere.
--If you are applying for this position based on eligibility under aspecial appointing authority, the Servicing Human Resources Officemust receive proof of eligibility by the closing date of thisannouncement. For additional information on special appointingauthorities, visit:https://www.usgs.gov/about/organization/science-support/human-capital/non-competitive-appointment-information
--If youre applying as a current or former employee of a landmanagement agency i.e., Bureau of Indian Affairs, Bureau of LandManagement, Bureau of Reclamation, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,National Park Service, or U.S. Forest Service who is serving orpreviously served on a temporary or term appointment under the LandManagement Workforce FlexibilityAct (see: https://chcoc.gov/content/implementing-policy-guidance-land-management-workforce-flexibility-act), youmust submit the following documentation by the closing date of thisvacancy announcement in order to receive consideration:
- SF-50(s), Notification of Personnel Action, that documents yourservice under competitive examining procedures in time limitedappointments that totals 2 or more years at land managementagencies; and
- Documentation of satisfactory performance such as performanceevaluations or references by supervisors or other documents,e.g., memorandums of record, whereas the supervisor documentedan acceptable performance level.
--Required documents may be: 1)faxed to the Agency Contact (see"Contact Information") 2)uploaded directly from your desktop3)uploaded directly from your USAJOBS stored attachments 4)handdelivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "ContactInformation")
--Auto-Requested Fax: allows you to submit required documentationthat will be electronically displayed along with your resume.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institutionrecognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to becredited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only theattendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accreditinginstitutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in thisvacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or mayaffect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with acomprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and yourfamily will have access to a range of benefits that are designed tomake your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federalbenefits.
- USGS has determined that the duties of this position aresuitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed totelework with supervisor approval. The official worksite for theselectee is the duty station identified in this vacancyannouncement. The selectee will typically report to this dutylocation on a regular and recurring weekly basis.
- For additional information on our internal telework policy,please reference the Department of the Interior TeleworkHandbook at: https://www.doi.gov/telework/policies.
- Working for the U.S. Geological Survey offers a comprehensivebenefits package that includes paid vacation, sick leave,and holidays; health, life, dental, vision, and long term careinsurance, flexible spending accounts, and participation inthe Federal Employees Retirement System.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you holdand whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent.Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specificbenefits offered.
- How to Apply
--Applications (resume and application questions) for this vacancymust be received on-line via USAJOBS BEFORE midnight Eastern Time(Washington, D.C. time) on the closing date of this announcement. Ifyou fail to submit a complete online resume, you will not beconsidered for this position. Requests for extensions will not begranted. Most libraries, employment offices, and all USGS personneloffices can provide access to the Internet. If applying online posesa hardship for you, you must speak to someone in the Servicing HumanResources Office listed on this announcement PRIOR TO THE CLOSINGDATE for assistance.
--Instructions for Applying Online for this Vacancy Announcement:1)Click the blue "Apply Online" button. 2)If you are not aregistered USAJOBS user, please create a new account and follow theinstructions to complete your application process. If you are aregistered user, login to access your existing USAJOBS profile. 3)Asa registered user, select a stored resume and select one or more ofyour stored documents to attach to your application. 4)Check the"Certification" box and click the "Apply for this position now!"button located at the bottom of the screen. 5)Address theeligibility questions as well as the questionnaire containingquestions and/or task statements that address the knowledge, skills,abilities and/or competencies for this vacancy. 6)Submit requireddocuments using one of the available methods listed below. 7) If youexperience technical difficulties during the online applicationprocess, please contact the USAJOBS helpdesk.
Agency contact information
INTERIOR, Geological SurveyW 6th Ave Kipling St 612Lakewood, Colorado 80225United States
Learn more about this agency
--If you are rated as one of the most highly qualified candidates,you will be referred to the hiring manager for further considerationand possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 30-45days of the closing date of this announcement. You will be notifiedvia email of the outcome. You can also go to "My Account" withinUSAJOBS to review your Application Status.
- Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent.Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment onthe basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy andgender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexualorientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age,membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parentalstatus, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & jobapplicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicantswith disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonableaccommodation for any part of the application process should followthe instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any partof the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact thehiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonableaccommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the workenvironment, or the way things are usually done that enables anindividual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job dutiesor receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must providereasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have anequal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to performthe essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receiveequal access to benefits, such as details, training, andoffice-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during theapplication or hiring process or while on the job. Requests areconsidered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodationsor how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and toapply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/547904900. Only resumessubmitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listedat www.usajobs.gov will be considered.