Ensures claim supplements are fairly and accurately investigated and evaluated in accordance with established timelines, customer service standards, and quality standards. With general construction knowledge, estimating skills, and negotiation skills, adjusters will issue supplement payments fairly and equitably with all parties.
Essential Job Functions
The essential duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of those required on the job. Incumbents may perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Determines insurance coverage.
- Examines and appropriately interprets insureds' policies, forms in force, and other records.
- Interviews, telephones, and corresponds with insureds and other parties.
- Approves and adjusts estimates of damage and loss amounts.
- Determines extent of company's liability.
- Interviews, telephones, or corresponds with insureds and witnesses.
- Uses varying methods of investigation, including taking recorded statements, consulting with police, inspecting property damage, and reviewing documents.
- Identifies and communicates potential underwriting concerns.
- Estimates cost of repair, replacement, or compensation.
- Sets appropriate case reserves; revises case reserves in assigned files to cover probable costs.
- Manages diaries and tasks in the Claims System.
- Prepares report of findings and negotiates settlement.
- Prepares settlement letters, denial letters, Reservation of Rights, and other letters as needed.
- Writes clear and concise diary notes, uses the Special Handling area, sets field assignments, sets and saves contacts, and makes payments.
- Effectively manages pending files in accordance with Claims Best Practices.
- Appropriately applies knowledge of multiple state statutes, including the insurance code of ethics, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Determines whether a file has a valid Assignment of Benefits and handles accordingly.
- Effectively handles difficult calls from customers, vendors, and others.
Knowledge, skills/abilities listed below are the requirements needed to be proficient in the job.
- Willingness to work flexible shifts, 7 days per week with 12-hour shifts for major catastrophes, and overtime as needed for claim spikes.
- Ability to grasp concepts quickly, pay attention to details, think through problems logically, apply high-school-level math skills, and make appropriate decisions.
- Possesses strong English vocabulary, basic grammar skills, and professional decorum. Writing is clear and easy-to-read. Bi-lingual skills helpful.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates active listening skills through effective use of questions, reflection, and empathy.
- Demonstrates a bias toward exceptional customer service; experience providing customer service preferred.
- Possesses strengths in negotiation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word required. Proficiency in Excel preferred.
- Intermediate knowledge of insurance and adjusting.
- Intermediate knowledge of residential construction, roofing, and repair techniques strongly preferred.
- Experience preparing repair estimates in Xactimate or another software package required.
- Experience handling a variety of claim perils preferred.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher and at least 2 years of experience in property claims handling.
- In lieu of the above, Associate’s degree and a minimum of 3 years work experience within financial services, customer service, construction, property management, or related field; at least 2 months of which must involve property claims handling.
- In lieu of a degree, 5 years work experience in the field noted above; at least 2 years of which must involve property claims handling.
- Adjuster 620 License required.
Benefits & Perks
As an employee, you will enjoy an inclusive environment that embraces strategic thinking, drive and passion. As a company committed to our employees, it’s not surprising that we offer great benefits that include:
- Paid training, tuition assistance and career development.
- Diverse, welcoming culture.
- Casual dress (yes, you can wear jeans to work!)
- Medical, dental, vision, paid time off and a 401K plan that is 100% vested!
- If you are looking for a career, not just a job, apply now!