Who we are
The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 400 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
TSC is seeking a first rate Supplier Quality Engineer to interface with key functions of TSC and the
supply base for the purpose of verifying their quality standards align to the TSC requirements. This
position will serve as a liaison with suppliers to drive structural quality and process improvements,
to prevent issues that could impact Product Quality and/or On‐time Delivery. Successful candidates must demonstrate the ability to drive results in dynamic, sometimes ambiguous, environments.
- Collaborate with Supply Chain Management to develop and maintain an effective Supplier
- Selection and Approval process, and recommend disqualification of suppliers when poor performance results dictate.
- Participate with Engineering and Supply Chain, in the identification of strategic suppliers andtheir associated risks.
- Perform onsite Quality System Surveys to determine supplier suitability and capability.
- Perform onsite Source Inspection to support TSC flow down requirements.
- Coordinate Process Change Requests (PCR) with suppliers, assist with submittals.
- Drive proactive Continuous Improvement within the supply chain base, based upon Quality
- Delivery performance trends.
- Monitor the performance of the CAPA system.
- Engage in regular CABs, and follow up withsuppliers based upon open actions and those actions requiring follow up.
- Ensure metrics for supplier quality are developed, maintained and reviewed to promote continued and sustained success.
- Manage supplier quality issues through monitoring and escalation processes, escape management, processing of supplier non‐conforming material and supporting internal MRB processes.
- Develop and maintain close lines of communication with Suppliers in order to foster and promote partnering relationships.
- Provide technical support with NPI projects when planning for product & process realization
- Develop and maintain a Supplier – Sub‐tier Audit / Surveillance Program, which includes
- coordinating TSC and customer product, process and system audits.
- Participate and engage in CCB and MRB processes, provide technical support when needed.
What you bring
- Eight (8) years of related Quality, Defense, Aerospace, and Manufacturing Engineering experience
- Six Sigma, Lean and / or American Society for Quality (ASQ) certifications
- General knowledge of aerospace / defense products and systems technologies
- Experienced in Product/Process Failure Modes & Effects Analysis
- Proficient in the Configuration Change Board, Engineering Review Board, and Risk Review Board processes and knowledgeable in the quality role in these boards
- Strong leader that exhibits presence and influence
- Passionate, high‐energy, self‐starting team player who achieves goals and strives for continuous improvement
- Effective verbal and written communication and networking skills to work with upper management and customers.
- Competency in a relevant technical discipline with understanding of engineering principles and design analysis techniques.
- Ability to lead cross‐functional teams in failure analysis, root cause analysis, corrective and preventive actions and implement robust process controls.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.