This position reports to the Materials Manager. The Planner/Buyer works with production, materials and purchasing to ensure work orders sufficient to maintain the production forecast are created and executed. This position will also work with the Master Scheduler and plant personnel on continuous improvement methods in scheduling and inventory control. Incumbent is required to demonstrate personal commitment to the standards set forth in The General Cable Code of Ethics and Compliance Guidelines and use sound judgment in maintaining appropriate compliance procedures and in carrying out their duties with honesty, in compliance with laws and with high ethical standards.
Accountable to the Materials Manager this position is responsible for scheduling and expediting required materials through production departments to satisfy customer delivery while optimizing production efficiencies and inventory investment. Responsibilities also include establishing effective systems and operating procedures to provide materials at the lowest ultimate cost and with the highest quality. Must be able to optimize inventory investments in raw material and finished goods, while maintaining excellent customer satisfaction levels. You will be working with vendors in ordering and releasing raw materials and establishing kanbans and supplier managed inventory (SMI) procedures. This position will also work with the Master Scheduler and plant personnel on continuous improvement methods in scheduling and inventory control.
- Results driven individual who has demonstrated ability working in a high performance-manufacturing environment
- 3 - 5 years’ experience in production planning in the manufacturing arena
- Must be able to manage multiple, complex tasks and deal easily with pressure on a day in and day out basis
- Must be able to motivate, communicate and drive continuous improvement.
- Critical thinker, with excellent analytical abilities
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Solid planning, leadership and administrative skills
- High energy, demonstrates urgency and fast pace
- Proven experience in establishing an effective material planning and resource system
- Experience in MRP and pull flow systems
- Experienced negotiator in managing vendors and suppliers assuring best price, quality to specification and on-time delivery
- Materials background; able to understand and develop appropriate product specifications
- Minimum five years in manufacturing planning
- Proven ability to work in teams
- APICS certification desirable
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree, BS/BA degree in related field