Production Supervisor – Fast Track Management
We are currently recruiting this position for several of our converting facilities across the US and located in Mitchell, SD and Ft. Smith, AR. Each position is posted according to its location. Because our recruiters work regionally or by location we ask that you please submit your resume for consideration to each posting separately.
MISSION / SUMMARY:
This position is designed to support the internal talent development initiatives of Graphic Packaging International, Inc. Those interested in advancing their careers in the printing/packaging, converting, and paper making industry will find this role particularly interesting. The position is heavily focused on development and learning in regard to GPI’s manufacturing processes, value proposition and business objectives as this position is intended to serve as a catalyst for promotional opportunities and our ongoing talent development efforts. Incumbents must remain willing to promote to higher level roles when positions become available and their manager(s) feels they have achieved the level of experience and training necessary to perform at a higher level. This includes continued willingness to relocate for those opportunities – Graphic Packaging operates in multiple states across the US in both metropolitan and rural areas. Incumbents are targeted to remain in this role for one to four years depending on your existing level of experience, performance in role, learning, and the number and timing of vacancies that create an opportunity for advancement. Supervisor positions may be on days or nights and may follow a M-F schedule or may work rotating 12 hour shifts that rotate every other weekend off. It’s key to remember that future advancement opportunities are almost always on M-F, regular business hour, schedules.
In addition to the learning opportunity that comes with this position the primary responsibility of the Production Supervisor is to work directly with and supervise a production workforce of approximately 50 /- employees per shift. This person will have responsibility for the day to day management for all aspects of the production floor, with Safety as a top priority, assuring that work is produced in accordance with operating targets. He or she ensures compliance with established customer quality and production standards. They understand and align plant operations & production with the Customer Support group as he/she executes their role in the overall order fulfillment process to exceed customer expectations and align with GPI business, cultural, financial and operational objectives.
JOB FUNCTIONS:Job functions include, but are not limited to the following.
- Acts as primary back up to the Department Manager
- Utilizes specific educational skill sets to coordinate analysis & improvement projects as requested.
- Manages and oversees training assignments for all department employees and ensures timely completion
- Coordinates all training validation requirements for pre-promotion, post-training event, and random selected tasks and submits result to Department Manager for review, and submission to HR
- Reviews, and submits all training documentation to the department manager for review and approval
- In conjunction with other production supervisors, ensures daily pay period completion of all time cards, and pre approval prior to submission to payroll.
- Assist in interviewing processes as requested.
- Supervises and facilitates the day-to-day shift activities of team. Utilizes knowledge and experience, providing training to team members. Responsible for their individual performance. Oversees scheduling, material handling issues and maintenance, as well as resolving production problems. Helps team achieve goals and has responsibility for personnel issues, including required employee coaching, counseling or discipline.
- Works with employees to maintain a safe work environment. Encourages and leads team members to work in a safe manner and to seek improvement in work practices. Develops and implements safety procedures and supports Health, Safety & Environmental Manager in achieving departmental and plant safety goals.
- Assures that the team maintains quality standards and uses SPC techniques for problem resolution through knowledge of product specifications and training of personnel.
- Ensures that product quality, production efficiency, and overall productivity meet or exceeds established standards, and is directly accountable for expenditures exceeding budgeted levels.
- Strives to be technically proficient on the machinery in the department. Provides assistance to the team in problem resolution and assures that testing and product development is carried out in a professional manner.
- Responsible for compliance with all facility food safety, food defense, and quality policies and procedures including product safety (GMPs)/Sanitation policies and procedures. Employee must continually work to promote the orderliness and cleanliness of their work area in support of SQF/5’s and other company standards.
- Must be supportive of GPI’s Mission, Vision, and Core Values (Integrity, Respect, Accountability, Relationships, and Teamwork).
- Must be supportive and involved in GPI efforts for LEAN, 5’s, Six Sigma and other Continuous Improvement programs and processes.
- Strives to clearly understand customer requirements and delivers results to meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Ability and responsibility to stop any process that is not meeting employee safety requirements.
- Ability and responsibility to stop any process that is not meeting food safety requirements.
- Ability and responsibility to stop any process that is not meeting customer quality requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
BACKGROUND / EXPERIENCE:
- 1-5 years of manufacturing experience required.
- Printing/packaging converting experience a plus (includes internships).
- Paper Mill experience a plus (includes internships).
- Prior supervisory experience a plus.
EDUCATION / KNOWLEDGE / OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Four year technical degree in Engineering, Printing, or Packaging. (Engineering degrees preferred include Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical or Industrial.)
- Advanced degree beneficial but not required.
- Must be willing to relocate to the area of the current opening and for future opportunities.
- Demonstrated leadership ability & ongoing desire to develop a managerial career.
- Demonstrated technical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, ability to motivate people.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Highly skilled in Microsoft office applications.
- General Production Supervisor schedules consist of 12-hour rotating days – generally includes every other weekend off, however, employee must be willing to work alternate schedules occasionally; that may include early mornings, nights, and/or off weekends and be punctual while doing so.
- Occasional overnight travel to include flying, driving, riding or by rail.
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time up to 12-hours.
- Occasional Lifting up to 25 lbs.
- Reading computer screen or other electronic devices.
- Use of various office equipment, hand and electrical tools or equipment.
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment in designated areas (Safety Shoes, Hats, Hearing Protection, Hair & Beard Netting).
- Working in various temperatures & humidity levels depending on building & department (not all areas are temperature controlled throughout facilities).
Graphic Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications for the job in question. We do not base our employment decision on an employee's or applicant's race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, handicap, or disability, marital status, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.Click here to view the EEO is the Law Poster.